OEM Bilstein dampers in JDM 1998 NB RS - what springs?

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Junkwhale
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Junkwhale » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Added Koni yellows on full hard / full soft and the oem showas too:

Forgot to label them but in lbs force on the Y axis & IPS on the X axis.

edit: forgot to say, I used the same figures for the koni soft rebound as the oem as they were so close it didn't seem worth the time to enter them.

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:26 am

Hmmm how would I stick my Ohlins on there?

I'm not going to pretend I understand this crap any more since it's been a decent amount of time since my uni days and being forced to understand it :roll:

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 am

Angreal wrote:Hmmm how would I stick my Ohlins on there?

I'm not going to pretend I understand this crap any more since it's been a decent amount of time since my uni days and being forced to understand it :roll:
I can't find any miata/mx5 specific dyno's online but i do remember seeing the numbers for them somewhere. TheToyota 86 version of the Ohlins DFV which uses 6kg springs front & rear looks like this though-

Rears:

Fronts:

I'm assuming that what's pictured there is full soft (blue) & full hard (grey) - pretty impressive adjustment range for the low speed curve. Looks like 25-200+ lbs @ 1IPS and the shape goes from very progressive to very digressive.
Last edited by Junkwhale on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:46 am

This is a pretty good overview for getting useful out of shock dynos: http://www.nttyres.com/downloads/guide_ ... graphs.pdf

Important part:
It is commonly accepted in circuit racing that shaft velocities between 0mm/s and 50mm/s are considered low speeds and contribute to driver feel and the car’s body movements (sprung mass). Speeds between 50mm/s and 150mm/s are considered mid range shaft velocities and affect the car under braking, during fast changes of direction and ride harshness. Speeds from 150mm/s upwards are considered high speed shaft velocities and are concerned with absorbing energy from bumps and controlling energy from the vehicle’s unsprung mass.
0-50mm/s = roughly 0-2 IPS on the graphs above
50-150mm = roughly 2-6 IPS
150mm+ = 6 IPS+

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 am

FM's V Maxx coilovers:

These usually come with 7kg Front/4.5kg Rear springs. Will work out what the critical damping percentages are when I get more time but it looks pretty similar to the tecnas with a bit more low speed rebound (more of a knee).

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:20 pm

So what do these mean? More importantly, what do they mean compared to the Ohlins? Only asking because they're ultra expensive (6k USD) and get my "holy crap, rare" attention

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”