Possible rear brake upgrade?

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Possible rear brake upgrade?

Post by Angreal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Stumbled across these Wilwood Dynalite single pots... Would these be a possible rear brake solution on stock rotors or would the cause too much rear bias? I'm thinking along the lines of less unsprung weight is better + they have bling factor 8)

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Caliper ... e%20Single

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Is your car souly for the track, or road. If you go with these, you will loose the handbrake, as far as using the cable system.

You will have to put in a hydraulic handbrake, with the cylinder in the cabin with you.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Donovan wrote:Is your car souly for the track, or road. If you go with these, you will loose the handbrake, as far as using the cable system.

You will have to put in a hydraulic handbrake, with the cylinder in the cabin with you.
I guess that's a definite no then. At the moment the car is mostly bling but maybe one day ;)

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 pm

I was considering putting 2pots on my car for the track use, but went off the idea because of the hydraulic handbrake setup.

I have done a bit of research into this, and can't find a set of 2pots that can run a cable handbrake, well not yet anyway. All the manufactures that run 2pots or more pistons on the rear I think use a type of drum brake within the hub system for the handbrake or inboard disc.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Donovan wrote:I was considering putting 2pots on my car for the track use, but went off the idea because of the hydraulic handbrake setup.

I have done a bit of research into this, and can't find a set of 2pots that can run a cable handbrake, well not yet anyway. All the manufactures that run 2pots or more pistons on the rear I think use a type of drum brake within the hub system for the handbrake or inboard disc.
Ah so I guess that somehow rules out something like an evo rear brake? Sigh... Here I was thinking it'd be just as easy as the fronts

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Guess not, but if you do ever find 2 pot setup that works with a cable handbrake, let me know

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Donovan wrote:Guess not, but if you do ever find 2 pot setup that works with a cable handbrake, let me know
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/ap-raci ... 69296.html <-- very hefty price tag

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/wilwood ... 69315.html <-- wow that's awesome, more so because that's the caliper I have up front (FM LBBK, not a true big brake kit)...

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 pm

$500 a caliper for those AP's??? Plus freight, think I will just stick with my current setup.

The Wilwood one might be worth looking into a bit more, but is that $250 just for the handbrake mod and not the caliper, or includes the price of the caliper as well.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Donovan wrote:$500 a caliper for those AP's??? Plus freight, think I will just stick with my current setup.

The Wilwood one might be worth looking into a bit more, but is that $250 just for the handbrake mod and not the caliper, or includes the price of the caliper as well.
I would assume it includes the calipers as well since it's $450USD for a pair of calipers + mounts + FM overheads/R&D

*Edit*
Looking at the site again, it looks very much like it comes with the caliper and handbrake kit

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:47 am

Going back to the original post with the single pot, it looks like it is cable friendly. I am back to the "I am interested and whats involved to mount it up" status :D

"The parking brake lock is cable actuated. Connections are made with common cable ends that use a 1/2" cable housing end on the stop bracket and a 1/8" to 9/64" cable with a crimped or welded ball end. The caliper will accept the OE cable on some vehicles. For other vehicles, new cable ends can be ordered to adapt the caliper to the vehicle's original cable system. For custom installations, aftermarket hand brake kit suppliers can easily configure the cable with the correct attachment end."

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/wiresipicopa.html - surely there must be cheaper places though since that's very steep for what they are

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:07 am

Any thoughts on this one? Should be good for some reduced unsprung weight right?

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/ULVWSVA.html

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Angreal wrote:Any thoughts on this one? Should be good for some reduced unsprung weight right?

You may need to find some new discs as well as the MX5 disc is less than 10mm.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Euen wrote:
Angreal wrote:Any thoughts on this one? Should be good for some reduced unsprung weight right?

You may need to find some new discs as well as the MX5 disc is less than 10mm.
They appear to have 6mm and 8mm options as well. Guess I'm going to be a guinea pig for these? :lol:

On a serious note, where could I head to get the caliper mount fabricated?

Euen

Post by Euen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:04 pm

You could try Dan Slater at Slater Fabrications. If he is too busy he could point you in the right direction
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Let me know what you end up doing as far as the rear brakes go, might follow suit if they work out ok. I've done enough experimentation on my car for the time being, someone else can be the first one out of the blocks.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Ronnie at RSL is a fab GOD

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Sounds like a plan... Might postpone the plan for a bit as I am decidedly poorer than I want to be right now and I have other things that need sorting first.

Also, if I went with a UK caliper (as much as I like the Wilwoods, I can't justify that stupidly large sum), I'm guessing the brake pad will be a PITA to get a hold of or would it be simple enough to find something off the shelf in NZ?

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm keen to try these out, as for the mount adapters I have the ability to CNC machine a billet caliper adapter. If I can make them then I would just be a case of running more material for others.....

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 am

Angreal wrote:Sounds like a plan... Might postpone the plan for a bit as I am decidedly poorer than I want to be right now and I have other things that need sorting first.

Also, if I went with a UK caliper (as much as I like the Wilwoods, I can't justify that stupidly large sum), I'm guessing the brake pad will be a PITA to get a hold of or would it be simple enough to find something off the shelf in NZ?
All wilwood calipers have a huge variety of pads available off the shelf in NZ

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 pm

FM are finally doing it:

"Sneak peek at a new product under development. That's a four-pot Wilwood caliper with a parking brake on the rear wheels."

Looks like the Powerlite caliper attached to a stock rotor in similar fashion to their LBBK. Should drop my unsprung weight even more 8) Just when I thought I was done buying crap for the car :lol:

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 pm

I may be missing something here BUT apart from bling, why do "we" need a willwood rear caliper...?

The weight saving wouldn't be much or even mean much.....?

Brake pads will be dearer.....

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Mad Kiwi wrote:I may be missing something here BUT apart from bling, why do "we" need a willwood rear caliper...?

The weight saving wouldn't be much or even mean much.....?

Brake pads will be dearer.....
To add I have seen these Calipers at Cardwells the pistons are tiny, and may not have much if anything over the stock rears :?

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 am

REDBEN wrote:To add I have seen these Calipers at Cardwells the pistons are tiny, and may not have much if anything over the stock rears :?
I'll just be painting my calipers & adding a Willwood sticker then!
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:01 am

You'd be surprised how heavy the standard ones are

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Angreal You just have to much money to throw at pointless expensive things like this

Instead start buying me stuff :D

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”