Suspension and track times Disscusion

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:17 pm

13r wrote:For the guys that take motorkhanas (theres no such thing as gymkhanas in NZ btw) seriously, suspension and wheels play a huge part in it...
so what's the difference between motorkhana and gymkhana? One involves a car and one involves doing exercise?

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Donovan wrote:
13r wrote:
For the guys that take motorkhanas (theres no such thing as gymkhanas in NZ btw) seriously, suspension and wheels play a huge part in it...
For a tarmac gymkhana (motorkhana or whatever you want to call it), yes, for a skid pan or grasskhana, not so much.
Calling it gymkhana so people know what I'm on about. Autocross a better word? :P

For grass. The thing that wins it is a low torque car with snow tyres :lol:

I remember an Anglia and multiple Ka's shitting on my EG before I had it set up for the track. Even some 14 year old girl beating me in some old corolla. She had to sit on a pillow to see over the wheel. Lol

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Every Gymkhana/Motorkhana I have been to has been won by a manual RWD car, Frasers, AW11, Roadster (Me once :D ), Altezza, MG Midget with V8.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Furai wrote:Every Gymkhana/Motorkhana I have been to has been won by a manual RWD car, Frasers, AW11, Roadster (Me once :D ), Altezza, MG Midget with V8.
Grass or tarmac? AW11's are great, as theyre light and rev nice and quick. Surprising to see an Altezza winning. The MG doesnt surprise me either to be honest.

A good driver in an average car, will beat an average driver in a good car :wink:

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:
Furai wrote:Every Gymkhana/Motorkhana I have been to has been won by a manual RWD car, Frasers, AW11, Roadster (Me once :D ), Altezza, MG Midget with V8.
Grass or tarmac? AW11's are great, as theyre light and rev nice and quick. Surprising to see an Altezza winning. The MG doesnt surprise me either to be honest.

A good driver in an average car, will beat an average driver in a good car :wink:
All Tarmac or skidpan, the Altezza was Nicks TRD one when I first started. The AW11 I have seen win a few times.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 pm

That supercharged mg runs a v8? Guess that's how he goes 3 wheels around the entire track

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Just another rebranded taiwanese entry coilover. I bought my billys for less than that.

Height or performance is the question people need to be asking

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:20 pm

here's a bit of autocross fun...sorry for the crap quality video..camera guy didnt realise he had his camera set to"low quality"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FaI8pbKxc&feature=plcp
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:11 am

I sure I would get lost on on of those things. Track work is so much easier, don't have to try and remember what side of the cone I supposed to pass etc.

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Okay maybe this might help get this thread back on track (Suspension and Brakes - Track Times)....

For the record...My perspective.

I could not decide whether to get the NA bilsteins my first car came with, revalved and a threaded sleeve added or look at new suspension.

I really struggled with this decision, the cost was very high by the time it all worked out to get the right springs, revalve...add the threaded coller OR machine new grooves in the body (circlip height adjust). Individually each part or step was reasonable, together ...a lot / too much.

Eventually I took the punt on the HSD setup that Dodson sell. Was a big risk....but,

I was absolutely amazed at the improvement in ride quality, it was a new car. This is DESPITE the springs being rated at 9kg front and 6kg rear. for the record these are almost the same spring rates Keith runs / ran on his race car so it is all the more surprising that it was so lovely to drive. Rough or smooth it was fantastic. Everyone remarked, wife, friends, ex MX5 owners, EVERYONE.

So this is a track based thread.....

I took the car to Hampton downs (first time in a car on the track but not first time on the track. I used to race road bikes for 10 years so not a newbie but still a newbie.....if you see what i mean... :P ).

I was very pleased with my laptimes, beating the targets I had set myself. Namely getting down to 1.25 on Toyo TR1 road tyres. I then switched to Dunlop Direzza semi slicks and got down to 1.23's.

This is over the course of 3 maybe 4 different sessions. The suspension never lacked or handled poorly, the improvements were down to stiffening the shocks and my own experience picking up.

Now to the nitty gritty, as some of you may know, I sold my sole to the devil (bank, wife etc) and purchased Keiths Motor, brakes and Koni race shocks (10kg front - 6 kg rear spring rate).

My last track day (with Keiths Koni shocks and big Willwood brakes) I managed to drop another second and got down to a 1.22.5. However, I sincerely believe the improvement was the brakes and continued experience NOT the shocks. I would swap the Konis for the HSD's without batting an eyelid, in fact I may be wrong but to me the HSD's felt slightly better.....my next upgrade is the 949 racing sway bar kit as body roll is now a significant factor limiting laptime improvement (hsd or koni) not to mention more practice, I feel there is a second or two still to come with current engine package, wheel alignment not to mention swapping in Keiths motor / 6 speed that is planned over the long weekend...).

So if anyone is thinking about it, I would heartily recommend the HSD kit as amazing value for money!!!

Perhaps with stock sway bars for road/fast road and upgraded sway bars for track work.....

Happy to discuss if anyone has any questions.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”