Guard rolling machine..

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Guard rolling machine..

Post by Mad Kiwi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Well my track times are dropping and I was pleased to get a 1.23.6 on my road tyres (toyo Tr1's).

As I am chasing someone elses laptimes on the forum here...(a cetain v8 we all know and love...)I decided to get an equal set of tyres.

Dunlop Direzza 03G 205 x 50 x 15. which incidentally are incredible comapred to the toyo's I was previousley using!

Unfortunatly I was supplied the 50 profile and not 45 by accident, as a result I had some serious guard rubbing and had to pull straight in.

We did some gentle guard "massaging" with an engineering hammer (!) to get through the day but I really need to roll the guards a little, properly.

Does anyone know of the location of a guard rolling machine for loan, hire or paid etc?

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I am wanting my guards rolled as well. Thinking about just buying one and renting it out to mates.
I'll run next door to repco and get a price on one.
1990 NA6C MX5

sprsta

Post by sprsta » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:19 pm

i did mine without a machine and had no problems
i could have a look at yours if you like

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:47 pm

I am keen on a machine because I want to pump them out as much as possible. These 205's are best on a 8" - 9" rim apparently and that is going to need as much space as possible.....I can't see 9" in my future but 8" is in the realms of possibility.

If I can't find a machine I will give you a yell, really appreciate the offer too!

siren676

Post by siren676 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Couldnt get a price on a machine today as they will have to order one in for me. Will be able to have get a price on monday though

Looking on trademe they are only $180 ish so around the price of 4 guards rolled by a pro company
1990 NA6C MX5

malcster
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by malcster » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:06 pm

I thought they just roll the inner lip of the guard or can they actually push the whole guard out?
1998 NB MX5 RS TURBO.

siren676

Post by siren676 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:17 pm

My mate who owns a wheel shop uses a standard roller to pull out the guards, you cant go too far though or your paint will crack
1990 NA6C MX5

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:37 pm

I beleive they can push or pump the guard out a bit. Cracking paint can happen but apparently if you heat it first it can help prevent it.

I can touch up or respray mine myself anyway, though i'd rather not have to bother...

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 am

Get some 'pro' advice... I'd mine done, I was happy, but I think it can be handled well or poorly.... my ultra lite-weight super crappy paint all cracked but its not a major and it seems to me that NA miata can fit pretty big footwear in general w/v. minimal effort if you have good people doing the over-all job.

The cars 225/50 R15 even '2-up laden' don't rub anywhere, WORK 25p, 8" w/T1-R's - I think though i had what I think was top level advice & help (alignment & suspension set-up, cutting of liners and air dam and generally adjusting little bits & pieces etc etc)... if you're interested I could probably steer you toward the actual experts. 'Yes', most probably have issues w/big footwear I didn't have any drama and the paint is easy to sort out afterward.
Harlan

WTB: NZ New MX5

Black Darth Vader Turbo Miata

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Where are you located? I'm out east and I have access to a gaurd roller, although I can't guarantee your paint not cracking.

I've done quite a few cars, some crack, some don't, but the age of your paint probably has a bit to do with it. Like the S2000 and S15 I've done didn't crack, but the mx5's around 89-90 have cracked even with heat gun.

For my car, I just bashed it with a hammer + block of wood on the other side + a quick spray of paint. Rangi, but no ones gonna look under there :lol:

The roller will be able to give you a decent pull though, as the mx5 metal seems pretty soft

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”