NA6: Upgrading rear rotor + caliper from NA8

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

NA6: Upgrading rear rotor + caliper from NA8

Post by kuroneko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:10 am

Hi everyone,

I'm having a real hard time locking the rears wheels up on my na6 (probably due to below average pads).

My question is, would upgrading just the rear rotor/caliper off the na8 + some decent pads + readjusting my brakelines allow me to lock it up easier? Is anyone able to lock the rears with the factory handbrake setup?

Also, Will changing to a slightly larger diameter rotor on the rear mess with my brake bias/balance too much?

Thanks for helping me with my noob questions :oops:

last_resort14
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by last_resort14 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 am

I never really had a lot of luck with the na6 or 8 calipers using the handbrake, you can slot the bracket for the cable at the caliper for a little more leverage(write up on roadsterdrift I think), which did help a bit for me. Also regularly adjusting the calipers helps.

Even though I did all this the cable would stretch and need adjustment more than once on each drift day,

Have now gone hydraulic and won't go back :lol:

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks for the info. Could you share a bit more about your hydraulic setup? I know Nick with the white NA6 used a hydraulic handbrake setup too, but I hadn't really thought about going this route, as it would still be a road legal car.

last_resort14

Post by last_resort14 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:45 am

I'm just using one of the d2 kits, plumbed into the line that runs from the front to the rear.
It would be a mission to keep a car road legal with one. Log books, authority cards etc.

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:33 am

Ah ok. Yea, thats what I was thinking. I guess for a slow car like mine, it'd probably benefit from initiating with a clutch kick or feint. Handbrake probably slows the car too much lol

Thanks for the help mate :)

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:17 pm

I looked at getting a hydraulic brake but 1) it was a lot of hassle 2) getting it legal was a hassle 3) there were probably other reasons

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”