NA Bilsteins - NB Top hats...?

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

NA Bilsteins - NB Top hats...?

Post by Mad Kiwi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi Guys, our silver jap imprt 91 (which is either an R package or near enough to it) has bilsteins and quite low springs.

After putting HSD's in my red car "Wee1" I honestly can't really bring myself to drive the silver one anymore. It just bumps and crashes it's way around and is just horrible. I really can't say enough good things about the HSD suspension, truly amazing the difference.

I presume the problem is mostly becasue it is riding on the bump stops so often. I know the valving isn't the greatest but that is the least of the problems at this point.....

Would fitting NB rear top hats help. From what I have read it makes a huge difference by providing more travel and limiting the "sitting on the bump stops" problem.

I guess my concern/question is will installing the NB top hats mess with the ride height or anything else?

It couldn't just be that simple could it, it never is!

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:19 pm

yes it will give you more travel but will lower the car appox 5-7mm. You will have trouble fitting the bushes onto the na shocks as the shaft is not quite long enough. I have done it on my car but it did take a bit of mucking around. Upgrade the bumpstops while you have the shocks apart, the standard ones are rubbish.
warrior

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:21 pm

also from what I have heard and read the bilsteins are VERY hard so that is more than likely your no1 problem
warrior

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 pm

i have never driven a bilstein equipped car that didnt feel harsh. i never saw what was so good about them. kyb and koni give better ride and better handling
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 pm

SLYDIT wrote:i have never driven a bilstein equipped car that didnt feel harsh. i never saw what was so good about them. kyb and koni give better ride and better handling
You should drive my car :D I have NB Bilsteins and they are awesome! Although I'd love to drive your car for comparison.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:12 pm

bilsteins always feel initially harsh on the bump. then they feel normal. the kyb and konis have just as much damping but do not have that initial harshness. coarse chip roads etc are much nicer on KYB and koni.
RED '90 TURBO.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Had Bilsteins in my old Primera. Most agreed it was one of the best road suspension setups and I really loved the crap out of it.
Cool sunroof bro...

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:19 pm

my mate had bilsteins on his primera and it felt good. but those primeras are solid cars anyway
RED '90 TURBO.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”