Replacement Rotors

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Replacement Rotors

Post by Donovan » Tue May 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Soooo, went to order my replacement rotors for my 6pot brake kit that I have, the ones I got last time they aren't making any more, and the original type of rotor that was supplied with the kit are 7 weeks away!!!!

To add salt into the wound, apparently these one's are going end of life at the end of this year as well.

Trying to figure out what options that I have, the top hats that come with these rotors are some sort of weird bolt pattern according to everyone, as they are 10 bolt pattern, rather than what seems to be the norm 6 bolt.

My assumption is that I can use any 11" front rotor, but I either have to get a custom made top hat (rather than using one normally supplied in the kit with it) or get new mounting brackets made up for my calipers, which ever is the cheaper of the two.

Suggestion's, ideas appreciated. And no MADKIWI, I am not going out a buying a whole new brake kit.

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 pm

just an offer, but I still have those NB 04 calipers I got off you ages ago sitting in a box uninstalled if you would like them back?
I have had them on the back burner as I need rims that can fit them before I can look at installing them on mine.

just an option to consider mate :)

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Umm, thanks, but they are just a bit on the small side for trying to stop my car on the track.

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Get Ben to make a bracket to suit the rotor he's planning to use? That's my cost effective solution. He'd have to add more info regarding if it'd work etc

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 pm

I agree with Angreal, Talk to Ben. If he has time, he mayu be keen to do something with his rotor solution...you needs brakes he has them and needs funds for his car..... a perfect match! :lol:

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:41 pm

id be talking to 949 racing and goodwin racing as they have a good idea of whats out there with BBK's.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:58 am

I have talked to Goodwins and 949, they are the ones that told my rotors are going end of life, Goodwins fortunately had some there which are at the moment held up in customs.

Also talked to Ben, he never made top hats for his brake setup, just the brackets.

Have had a look at the brake setup on 2LOW2C race car, he is using Wilwood top hats and rotors, which use the more common 6x6.25" bolt pattern, so I am trying to get my hands on those as individual parts rather than a kit which they come in with including the pads, calipers, braided lines etc which I don't need.

Hopefully I can get my new rotors out of customs soon, and that will get the car back on the road, and then I can track down the part numbers from the Wilwood stock list that I need, and see what Cardwells are going to sting me for.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:13 pm

there was a really good thread about different types of rotor that i cant seem to find at the moment. and it set out the pro's cons of each type of rotor and pad setup. basically some are cheaper to buy but replacement rotors and pads are more expensive, so your better off to buy the more expensive ones and get cheaper running costs.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”