TOYOTA COIL ON PLUG UPGRADE

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

TOYOTA COIL ON PLUG UPGRADE

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:09 pm

After doing a bit of playing around with coils and leads on another turbo mx5 i remembered that the latest thing for the turbo crowd (and non turbo too) is to upgrade the crappy coilpacks to toyota "coil on plug" setups using the COPs from year 2000+ toyotas (1zz-fe corollas, MR2's etc etc) that have a biult in ignitor....

this gives you better spark power, smoother running etc and especially good for turbo cars that need a big of extra igntion power....

heres a link to the SUUUUUUUPER long thread from Miata turbo forum.
You may need to sign up to read all of it..

http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.ph ... lug&page=9

for those considering an ignition lead upgrade or a coil pack has crapped out then maybe this could be a good solution.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 am

Nitro Dann on http://www.MX5CARTALK.COM has a write up on this as well and was selling a conversion wiring loom. Check his garage thread. Oz site by the way http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=270

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:09 pm

heres a good "how to"

http://miataturbo.wikidot.com/cop

the standard ECU has a higher Dwell than the toyota coils require. (around 4 milliseconds whereas the toyotas on ly need about 2ms) but this doesnt appear to hurt the toyota coils and they don't cook like the MX ignitors do...
RED '90 TURBO.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:35 am

There was a recent posting on forum.miata.net commenting on the temperature of the Toyota coils when run without reducng the dwell.

A guy on miata.net came up with a dwell reducer circuit that can be used if you don't have an aftermarket ecu that allows adjustment. Apparently it can fit inside the existing igniter casing on a 1.6 NA.

I have been running Toyota coils on the TG for about 3 years now and they have been great. With the gull wing bonnet configuration on the TG it was possible for water to leak into the plug wells through the hinge. At one stage I had a couple of plug wells about half full of water and there was no mis-fire or tracking. It just kept on going. (I have now sorted the problem of the leak though)

On a related subject, if anyone wants any 1.8 coils, have a look at the classifieds.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:25 pm

it seems if you are using a stock 1600 the toyota coils dont really need the dwell reducer..the 1800 ones definitly need it. Its basically because there is so much volt drop in the 1600 loom that you can get away with it as is...
Of course if you do the "crystal" chip mod in the ECU then this reduces the dwell even more keeping the coils happy.

the schematic for the dwell reducer Circuit is on the Mturbo forums and is pretty easy to make up if your ok with a soldering iron....

all up you could do the conversion for under $350 whichis pretty reasonable for the HP gain and better running they have...

next year i think i'll swap over to a megasquirt and fit the COPS...
RED '90 TURBO.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:21 pm

I tried running the Toyota COPs with a MiataLink (which uses the same 4-5ms dwell as the standard ECU). When the engine was first started it idled OK, but after a couple of minutes began misfiring and the COPs felt pretty hot.
I took them off and have waited until I have an ECU with adjustable dwell.

Actually, contrary to all the bad press MX5 coils get, mine (with decent plug leads and 0.8mm plug gaps). haven't missed a beat in 4 years of racing at 10psi boost.

I was only going to put the COPs on as I am going to push the boost up to around 15psi, but I think I'll leave the standard coils on for now and see what happens.

Papamoeziz
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Papamoeziz » Sat May 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Old thread dredge! Anyone had much luck upgrading coil packs with early link gear? I'm thinking short term easiest option is just finding higher kV coil packs but can't seem to find any info on the net bar a neon pack which I'd say is pretty rare here in nz
May the bridges we burn light our way
'89 mx5
'89 mx5
'78 808
'77 Mazda 1200 ute
'89 Toyota corona

Euen

Post by Euen » Sat May 14, 2016 6:15 pm

What version Link are you running. I am running Toyota cops with a Link LEM V5. The Link is driving them directly, no igniter or dwell adjuster required, all handled in the Link.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu May 26, 2016 9:06 pm

short term easy mod for more spark is to fit new power and earth leads to the coil packs. the stock wiring loom is rubbish. basically fit a relay next to the ignitor that feeds off the alternator or big feed to the fuse box and run grunty power feeds to the coils. also upgrade the coil earths. this will greatly improve spark output
RED '90 TURBO.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”