turbo wont start - aggghhh!!!

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Miatamad
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by Miatamad » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:14 pm

OK - please help - I'm having some problems :cry:

I have a 90 1.6 with latest version Link, RX7 460cc injectors, Innovate WBO2.

I have installed the turbo, intercooler etc and have now reached the the time where it was going to fire into life. I loaded the 440 defaults and tried to start.

The car starts and idles for a few seconds and shuts down - not stalling - just stops. The boost gauge is reading 10vac - where it used to be 20 - although I have no idea if this would be causing the issue?

The a/f gauge (if the cars running long enough for it to show) - shows the car VERY rich - iro 8

IF when its going I try to put my foot on the gas its very hesitant and then shuts down still.

IF its the vacum that you are going to point me towards- where should I look. I have checked the connections for the MAP, Boost gauge, and BOV. I have a filter breather cap off the cam cover.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone is on the Shore and wants to look - there is beer / wine etc on offer!!!

C
Like my post? Give me Karma!
Boosted. Scary fast.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:28 pm

sounds like no fuel - it's the same symptoms when a stocker has the MAF disconnected... enough fuel to start, but no more as the fuel pump isn't running. Hope that nails it !

PS - the 440 defaults are for low impedance RC injectors, you'll need to adjust z830 (?) the one that does injector voltage offset. This is to account for the slower acting high-imp injectors - assuming those are the ones you have. This is with the FMLink software (not Link's).

cheers,
Jeff

[Posted via External Email]

poison

Post by poison » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:53 pm

My God Jeff how do you know things like that???? Sorry didn't catch up on the weekend, went to the D1 finals. Good but the seating position at Pukekohe sucks for a good view. Seemed to rain a few times but still got sunburn.

Hey Mr C, good luck mate, Can't be much more than the fuelling as you haven't really tampered with anything that would cause a none start. So must be fuel, I would pop around if I thought I could add even the slightest useful bit of knowledge. Maybe a major hassle, but if Jeff's suggestion looks to be true could you try the old injectors back in (and keep the boost low)???

Are your injectors high impedance??? if they are low maybe they are not firing at all?? I would assume that as they are from Flyin Miata they must be high impedance. I would think that using low impedance would soon kill the trigger circuit.

Give me a call if you need a visitor for moral support.  

Gazza

[Posted via External Email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

zippy2
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by zippy2 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:51 am

sorry, do not know enough to help.

however a few months ago at the track an mx5 spun off and after had the same issues you talk of.

Start and die, the thinking at the time was fuel pump or regulator. Turned out to be a few blades of grass in the air fuel meter. I am not sure how or why this cased the issue, but it did.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:32 pm

1) Theres also a setting that will adjust the firing timing of the injector..if it isnt timed right it will cause the car to run too lean at idle and shut down. This is simply due to the fact the fuel isnt being injected into the airflow at the right time due to high impedance injectors being slower to open than low impedance ones....This incorrect (injector offset setting??) value will show on your fuelling maps as "row 1" actually needing more fuel than row 2.
2) Theres also a setting (cold start rate rise??????) or some thing like that which adds a predescribed amount of fuel after start up then the amount of extra fuel decreases over a set time...Either the amount of extra fuel is incorrect or the ramp down time is too short and needs to be extended..

To be honest i think that you have a combination of these problems above..work on #2 first then get it running to adjust #1.

Maybe Fletch knows..i know ive heard him talk about similar probs before....

Either that or you could email Flyin Miata with youre setup and symptoms and they could diagnose the prob..thier customer service is very very good.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”