Oil change time... Which Synthetic???

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:17 am

Yes it’s time for an oil change! I’m looking at re-routing my turbo’s oil return into the oil pan (It’s tee’d into the dip stick at the mo’) and it will be a good time to change the oil.

Any recommendations for a good oil synthetic oil? And also a good place to get it from?

Cheers Gazza
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Miatamad

My baby wants me to change the lubricant I use..... :lol:

Post by Miatamad » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:55 am

I think that if you stick with any of the main brand synthetic oil’s you cannot go wrong.  Personally I use Mobile 1 – Its good but probably not the very best – but its OK for me. 

Its widely available so if I ever need to top up when I on the road,  I know that I will be able to get the same and not end up mixing – as I would if I put in Royal Purple or something that’s really good but not as likely to be in most service stations around the country.

I assume that you are doing this at the same time as you move your oil return to the sump?  No point changing the oil and then draining it the following weekend.
Attention:
This e-mail is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

[Posted via External Email]
Like my post? Give me Karma!
Boosted. Scary fast.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:00 pm

I just changed to shell 10/40 fully synthetic. Castrol has re branded its fully synthetic range but i have a feeling that the closest availible is 10/30. Not sure how much difference between the "30" and "40" but as my engine has 160,000 k's on the clock and is now pushing out double the HP, so i wasnt to keen on using too thin a oil..it burns a little bit on cold start up....i think i may have cooked a valve guide, its fine while running and hot startup ...

Just remember..engines are cheap and turbo grin is priceless!! :)

BTW... do you need a drill and tap to do the Oil pan..You can borrow mine if you like..(just have to find the drill bit amongst all the junk..Whoops, i mean priceless treasures!)
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

poison

Post by poison » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi Glenn

Thanks for the offer of the drill and tap, Miatamad is just down the road and has one too, cheers for the thought.

Gazza

[Posted via External Email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”