Any turbo or supercharged NC in NZ

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Any turbo or supercharged NC in NZ

Post by Simonmx5 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Just wondering if anyone here has turbo or supercharged a NC MX5? There's a fair bit of info out there and plenty of kits available out of the USA but I'm unsure if those would have issues on a RHD car and would also need to find someone to tune it. Most kits seem to come with a base tune (at extra cost) but it sounds like there is a fair bit of tuning to be done to get it all running right.
Thanks in advance for any info :D

Josey Wales
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Re: Any turbo or supercharged NC in NZ

Post by Josey Wales » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Simonmx5 wrote:Just wondering if anyone here has turbo or supercharged a NC MX5? There's a fair bit of info out there and plenty of kits available out of the USA but I'm unsure if those would have issues on a RHD car and would also need to find someone to tune it. Most kits seem to come with a base tune (at extra cost) but it sounds like there is a fair bit of tuning to be done to get it all running right.
Thanks in advance for any info :D
Check out Jay at Tuning Done Right in Florida he has a rear moun turbo kitset. Very easy install .
There is a Supercharged NC in MX5 club.Auckland.

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Simonmx5 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:12 pm

I did quite a bit of browsing on miata.net and came across the rear mount turbo, looks like a really good system. I would be a bit concerned about driving it on wet roads with the air filter sitting under the rear of the car.

I have decided to stick with the NA mx5 for now, something about the NC just doesn't quite do it for me. The bit of extra power and modern interior is nice but it doesn't feel right. I read quite a few reviews that say it's an excellent car but it's not a very good mx5 which sums it up pretty well I think.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:39 pm

the ONLY reason TDR did the rear mount turbo was in the U.S you cant remove the header mounted cat converter.. no such issue in NZ TDR do a specific RHD turbo kit for the NC and a ECU retune...thats the way to go
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Frank Willett

Post by Frank Willett » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Simon,
I have supercharged 2 NC's now. Both kits were sourced from Flyin Miata in the US. The first car was a 2006 RS. Once installed and tuned, the car was delivering @ 230HP at the rear wheels. The MP62 kit comes with the OBD11 cable and a Dynatronics tune (if you select the that option). The standard ECU on an NC is fully programmable, so once the SC is installed, its just a matter of uploading MAP files from Dynatronics, datalogging with a laptop, emailing the logs back for review, and uploading the next program until the car is "tuned".
The second install I have just completed is on a 2009 RS. This year onwards has the stronger bottom end (crank and rods) from factory, so can take more boost (@ 14 psi vs 7 psi on the previous). I'm still tuning this but expect to obtain @270 HP at the rear wheels.

Supercharging vs Turbo - I have turbo'd cars in the past and if you are after pure 'kick-in-the-butt' power, Turbo is the way to go. The SC conversion gives you a car that feels as though its fitted with a bigger engine. The power increase comes in gentle and strong with great torque - in fact, there is little need to use all 6 gears now!

FX rates aside, if you decide to go with an FM supercharger kit, you wont get much change out of $10K with purchase, Freight and customs GST. I have done all my own installs at home in the garage - its not hard, just time consuming. The kit comes with a full install instruction manual and everything you need. The FM guys are awesome to deal with also.

Feel free to ask anything specific - if you want to meet or see the car/install, give me a yell. Cheers, Frank.

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Simonmx5 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks for your reply Frank.
It's very tempting but it's a lot of money to put in to a car that only cost me just over $10k to buy. For now I'm happy with the power of the NC. It's a nice bump up from the 1.8 NA, especially low to mid range torque. The 'more power' bug will definitely bite at some stage. Better start saving all my spare change :D
I do like the power delivery of a turbo and the noises that come with it however I feel like the supercharger would be a bit more sensible for a daily driven car. It also looks a bit easier to install.
I may have to take you up on the offer to check out the install when I get closer to doing it!
Cheers

Frank Willett

Post by Frank Willett » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks Simon.
I can suggest a compromise - If you fit a freeflow exhaust (and shop around because they can be almost as expensive as a supercharger), better intake filter/inlet (suggest a Cosworth air filter element from MX5parts.co.uk at the very least), and get your ECU reflashed (@ $750), this should add another 35 - 40 HP and then you have a really fun car!

allanboot

Post by allanboot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Frank- your car is awesome- where would I go to get my 2017 Rf ecu remapped and whats the cost/benefit-also in nz wheres the best place to get a :D n exhaust system similar to something flying Miata puts out- the need for speed has begun- suspension mods aren't far away either,,, Dang-its started. Thanks Booty

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”