Mx5 turbo cooling

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

lpeck
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Mx5 turbo cooling

Post by lpeck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Just fitted turbo upgrade on my 91 na. Haven't had a full dyno tune yet but have just been driving it around on stock psi without boosting it and found that the engine bay is getting really hot even after a 3km drive. I have fitted intercooler and alloy radiator.... Thinking about heat wrapping manifold and exhaust. Any other tips would be really helpful. Thanks

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:14 am

What radiator did you use and where did you get it from? I need a new one
warrior

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 am

It shouldn't get very hot if you aren't using any boost. What engine management system are you using, and if it's an add-on/replacement for the standard ECU, has the ignition timing been set correctly. If the timing is retarded it will send the underbonnet temperatures up big time.

lpeck
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by lpeck » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:46 am

Fenix radiator from fenix nz. Megasquirt ecu timing set at 10 degrees might wait unit ill I get tune and see if temp drops.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:08 pm

if your running base tune itll be rich and retarded . thats gonna put a lot of heat energy into the engine and manifold instead of power. itll get better with a tune.

dont wrap the turbo or manifold. it just promotes cracking. i wrapped my downpipe with exhaust wrap to protect the trans tunnel and gearbox.

wrap the things you dont want to melt. I wrapped my heater hoses, lower radiator hose, and pass side hard brake line.
i also made a cold air box that runs the length of the engine bay that has a heatshield material on it. i also riveted the stuff to the inside of the bonnet just above the turbo to stop it melting the paint on the bonnet and to the pass side of the trans tunnel to stop it melting the carpet. haha seriously it gets damn hot there

RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”