Which turbo can I use?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Which turbo can I use?

Post by Brainflex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:01 pm

I have some turbos lying around, one off a 94 2.7TD Mistral, one off a 2.5TD hilux, one from a 1300cc starlet and one off a twin turbo impreza.
Are any of these good for a 1800cc 94 MX5? Which one? I ain't looking for max hp just more.

Thanks

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:34 pm

none of them. sell them all for what you can get and get something off a 2 liter turbo. options could be..

WRXTD04 very small turbo that will spool welll low down (like under 2500 rpm to full boost)but youll have to push the boost up to get the airflow to make good HP.

IHI VF10 (old subaru legacy) this is actually very similar to the mazda GTX turbo but uses a much bigger compressor. perfect for an 1800.
or even a s13 or s14 T28 200sx turbos are perfect sizes
any of the old evo turbos will work too, but you may find that a td05 may be a bit laggy.

just remember that because its a high compression 1800 it will flow like a 2 liter low comp motor so you need a suitably sized turbo.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:16 pm

SLYDIT wrote:none of them. sell them all for what you can get and get something off a 2 liter turbo. options could be..

WRXTD04 very small turbo that will spool welll low down (like under 2500 rpm to full boost)but youll have to push the boost up to get the airflow to make good HP.

IHI VF10 (old subaru legacy) this is actually very similar to the mazda GTX turbo but uses a much bigger compressor. perfect for an 1800.
or even a s13 or s14 T28 200sx turbos are perfect sizes
any of the old evo turbos will work too, but you may find that a td05 may be a bit laggy.

just remember that because its a high compression 1800 it will flow like a 2 liter low comp motor so you need a suitably sized turbo.
Its Members who willingly produce info like this without prejudice that makes me feel proud to be a member of this community..... Big Ups to you all. Hope you and family have a safe and enjoyable new year break. From GRUVBB the Thread Jumper. And good luck with your turbo quest.

mattapo
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by mattapo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:02 pm

A good way to go is with a Subaru Twin scroll turbo like the vf37.
all the Subaru normal turbo's will fit on lots of different suby easy and therefore demand high prices.
With the twin scroll like the vf37 off the sti you can't fit them to another suby with alot a lot of work, I picked up mine with 15k on it for $300, its in mint condition and spools up super quick, I also had the internal waste gate ported and a 5pis actuator fitted as it had a 15psi on on it.

keep an eye out on clubsub, they pop up on there, hit up F.F.Sltd on there, he coms across a few of them,
Also the Subaru top feed injectors have a brilliant spray pattern but are to short, I am using the blue top feeds with spacers, you have to get the 14mm to 11mm reducer spacer and run O rings to take up the difference but nets great results.

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:49 pm

when I finally look at turbo'ing mine I want a T28 turbo as they came out with roller bearings while older ones like the TD04 use ball bearings

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:01 pm

tbh the t28 is over priced in the used market. for the extra you pay for them you can get other work done... a good budget turbo setup would be:

Subaru turbo like a tdo4/vf10/VF37 depending on preference. ($250)
steam pipe log manifold...keep it simple and it wont crack($750)
blue 2002+ WRX injectors and use shorter fuel rail spacers.($200)
Megasquirt.($800)
cheap repco or similar intercooler.($250)
WRX/GSR factory bosch BOV ($50)
HD clutch. (do it once, do it right with a FM happy meal clutch and flywheel.)
then add exhaust/intercooler pipework.oil feed and drain. AND TUNING AND CERT

heres a great miata turbo thread about manifolds and subie turbos. http://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo-dis ... 926/page3/
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

NicF
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by NicF » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm

I bought a VF10 on SLYDITs advice. Haven't spun it up yet but it looks good with no slop, and my mechanic gave it the thumbs up. One of the advantages with them is that they're less likely to have been overboosted/thrashed than the ones from Imprezas.

Personally though if I was buying bits slowly I'd start with the megasquirt. It's a worthwhile upgrade on a NA engine and while saving for the other bits you can get used to doing your own tuning.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”