Planning on buying one of these, any comments?

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

NicF
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Planning on buying one of these, any comments?

Post by NicF » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:15 pm

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php? ... 128&page=1

$650-$700 with stainless and braided hoses kit.

They take a TD-04 which are pretty reasonably priced second hand. I've been tossing up buying Begi or FM but they're just so damn expensive. Don't really have the capability of making my own.

Any thoughts?
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Re: Planning on buying one of these, any comments?

Post by SkilletKid » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

NicF wrote:http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php? ... 128&page=1

$650-$700 with stainless and braided hoses kit.

They take a TD-04 which are pretty reasonably priced second hand. I've been tossing up buying Begi or FM but they're just so damn expensive. Don't really have the capability of making my own.

Any thoughts?
I've seen Sturovo's build threads on MT.net. People with his manifolds seem very pleased and the guys on there aren't exactly ones to keep quiet about shoddy quality. Not sure about the rest of the parts on the kits he now makes though, haven't kept up to date on it.

You planning to track this alot?
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

NicF

Post by NicF » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:08 pm

No, the occasional track day maybe but I won't be making a firebreather, my partner drives the car as well. Go for 150-160hp maybe.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 pm

NicF wrote:No, the occasional track day maybe but I won't be making a firebreather, my partner drives the car as well. Go for 150-160hp maybe.
In that case, I assume you won't be gunning for track records?
In the event that you feel like driving it on track as hard as it will allow and for extended periods (30+ minutes per session) then I recommend reading up on the "Turbo Reliability on Track" thread at miataturbo.net.

What ECU are you planning to get? (< this is kind of an important bit in a turbo build)
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 am

Do you know if the 'free shipping' still applies to NZ with these?
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:39 pm

I doubt free shipping would apply to sending it all the way over here, but I am sure something could be negotiated.

personally, I like the look of these so please update us with how you get on, as down the track I would love to get one as well. (finances willing)

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:01 pm

The manifolds in the first post in that thread look very rough, have you enquired over here for people to make exhaust manifolds?
Pretty sure a few people on here are able to make them, most likely a heap cheaper than overseas and save on shipping
1990 NA6C MX5

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:30 pm

hmm, sounds interesting. Group buy?

NicF

Post by NicF » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Don't worry, SkilletKid, it'll be set up with MS as well. Any of the bandaids are a waste of time and effort as far as I'm concerned.

The one on page one of the thread is a rough prototype, he gets to a better quality further on. If you're after real top end flow, you'd need to go to a squid type anyway.

The price the guy was giving included postage from Europe to the UK, yes it would be more expensive but I don't know how much.

I'll be watching the thread, he's only freshly into production so I wouldn't be buying for a while anyway. Gotta get the MS in and set up first.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 pm

he's running very similar setup to my manifold and its been great.. log manifolds are great for a street car. if you want more grunt just turn up the boost a bit more. no one wants to be pulling manifolds once a year to reweld them just for that 10% more flow.
oh and dont forget the the more exhaust manifold you have is just more super hot steel trying to fry the living shit out of every thing in your engine bay, such as hoses/brake lines/electrics and bonnet paint.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 pm

NicF wrote:Don't worry, SkilletKid, it'll be set up with MS as well. Any of the bandaids are a waste of time and effort as far as I'm concerned.
Haha good man. Aids are just awful this time of year. Very inconvenient.
NicF wrote:The one on page one of the thread is a rough prototype, he gets to a better quality further on. If you're after real top end flow, you'd need to go to a squid type anyway.
And even then, you have to ask yourself if you can really afford replacing/repairing squid types constantly after being driven on the track (because they will hardly make a difference on the road assuming you stay legal of course). Squids make an extended lever arm with more mass pulling on it. It will crack, just a matter of when.
NicF wrote:The price the guy was giving included postage from Europe to the UK, yes it would be more expensive but I don't know how much.

I'll be watching the thread, he's only freshly into production so I wouldn't be buying for a while anyway. Gotta get the MS in and set up first.
Not sure if it's much help but a package from Slovakia around the size of an A4 sheet in width and length with the depth of an old laptop cost around 15 Euro to ship here. Can probably extrapolate a price from that.

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”