mx5 v8

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

mr_pool_pool2000
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

mx5 v8

Post by mr_pool_pool2000 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:59 am

Looking at droping in a v8

Plenty of engines for sale on trademe that include loom

Wondering what bolt in packages are for sale other than fm

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun May 26, 2013 2:18 pm

you could try a monster miata subframe and install package

http://monstermiata.webs.com/v8monsterkit.htm

or the boss frog one
http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_V8_Swap.html

its the way to go really. if you got all the stuff custom fabbed in NZ the costs would get out of hand very quickly. Do you really want to pay someone hourly rate to "work stuff out"?
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sun May 26, 2013 4:00 pm

I personally would be very wary about any kit designed for left-hand drive and would certainly ask the supplier if they suit our right hand-drive cars without undue extra headaches.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun May 26, 2013 5:03 pm

lexus V8's also have a kit available.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Wed May 29, 2013 9:54 pm

talk to me, been there, done that, can PM me for my mobile number if you want to pick my brains, shouldn't take long, as I don't have much left.

But in a nutshell, Lexus V8 by far the cheapest and simplest, isn't that much heavier than the 1.6, depeding on how much you do yourself, budget $12K-$15K (about $8K if you can do it all yourself)

Ford V8's are cast iron I believe out of the falcon, unless you go to the new motor which will set you back a bit(lot) or get one out of the states, most likely about $25K-$30K (about $17K-$20K doing it all yourself)

LSX conversion, engines don't weigh that much more than the Lexus, but are smaller in the heads being pushrod, so give you a bit more room, problem is they are bloody expensive, even if you strike a bargin it could be about $5K-$6K for engine/loom/ECU on a high milage LS1 alone. Budget on $30K-$40K for this.

Don't fool yourself that you can do it for cheaper than above, it's highly unlikely, especially if you or the person you are getting the work hasn't done this type of conversion before.

The V8 roadster kits come in left or right hand drive, just don't get the extractors, as the don't.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 pm

I was recently pricing up the lexus route and donovan's quotes are very accurate.

due to the cost (and that damn newest MCM video) I will for the short term be dropping in a manual box and slapping a turbo on mine and will look at the V8 route later on down the track when finances permit.

chris

Post by chris » Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 am

MrGrey wrote:I was recently pricing up the lexus route and donovan's quotes are very accurate.

due to the cost (and that damn newest MCM video) I will for the short term be dropping in a manual box and slapping a turbo on mine and will look at the V8 route later on down the track when finances permit.
Manual, and turbo. Good lad!
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu May 30, 2013 10:14 am

MrGrey wrote:I was recently pricing up the lexus route and donovan's quotes are very accurate.

Yeah, but one drive of mine, and those wheezy turbo's will be a distant memory, the sound and the torque from idle are highly addictive.

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Thu May 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Well see about that Donovan 8)
1991 NA6 Mariner Blue with a twist of BP

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu May 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Im an advocate for NA power but in a light package with good response, Donovan cant bag small NA too much as I beat him at Gymkhana :lol:

Ill win fuel economy anyway

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Does anyone on the forum have ITBs installed? I know they're expensive for the gains you get. But keeping the engine NA with some power gains and an increase in throttle response would be a bit of fun.

Plus they look and sound awesome.

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu May 30, 2013 2:23 pm

authentic wrote:Does anyone on the forum have ITBs installed? I know they're expensive for the gains you get. But keeping the engine NA with some power gains and an increase in throttle response would be a bit of fun.

Thats what Im planning on, 2LOW2C has some on an 1800 and one other guy has some Jenveys not fitted yet.

They have bugger all gain and cost as much as turbo but yes they sound awesome and unbeatable response.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu May 30, 2013 3:11 pm

REDBEN wrote:Well see about that Donovan 8)
Bring it on, from idle, you ain't got a chance, however if you build up the rev's before dumping the clutch, well that's a different story.

As for the fuel economy part Furai, not as much as you would think, 7.8l/100km on a trip down to Thames at 90kph, gotta love a 1500rpm cruise. Just around town, not so good.
Last edited by Donovan on Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Last trip I did I got 6.4L/100Km and around town 8. But 70HP not several hundred.

Ill get you guys on the first 5m of launch I reckon :lol:

authentic

Post by authentic » Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Furai wrote:
authentic wrote:Does anyone on the forum have ITBs installed? I know they're expensive for the gains you get. But keeping the engine NA with some power gains and an increase in throttle response would be a bit of fun.

Thats what Im planning on, 2LOW2C has some on an 1800 and one other guy has some Jenveys not fitted yet.

They have bugger all gain and cost as much as turbo but yes they sound awesome and unbeatable response.
I was looking at the Techno Toy 4age ITB adaptor with either the silver top or black top ITBs. Not sure which velocity stacks but hoping all of that would come to around ~$1000. I might be being optimistic though. And then add on a Megasquirt and wideband o2 sensor and the cost is getting up there.

Not sure what the Jenvey kit includes but thats sitting up around the $2000+ mark.

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 pm

authentic wrote:
Furai wrote:

I was looking at the Techno Toy 4age ITB adaptor with either the silver top or black top ITBs. Not sure which velocity stacks but hoping all of that would come to around ~$1000. I might be being optimistic though. And then add on a Megasquirt and wideband o2 sensor and the cost is getting up there.

Not sure what the Jenvey kit includes but thats sitting up around the $2000+ mark.
I'm currently also looking at the Techno Toy ITB adapter as well, pretty good price for the billet adapter, I already have Black top ITbs picked them up from Trademe for $170.

authentic

Post by authentic » Thu May 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Huh, thats not as expensive as I thought. That brings my estimated cost down a bit then.

If I just wanted to get the throttle bodies on there and running on the stock motor, do I need a new fuel rail/injectors?

EDIT: Nevermind, found what I was looking for. Needs a dual feed to evenly distribute fuel.

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Techno Toy adapter is a good one, Prices I have found so far.

About $500 by the time you get the TTT Adaptor.

$100-200 Silvertop ITBs off trademe.

$600 MS or up to $2000 for brand new Link. This depends on how you look and secondhand/new but seems to be the most expensive part.

Then of course various linkages and such so that could bet several hundred.

Im spending money on chassis first and will do this later for a bit of fun :wink:

authentic

Post by authentic » Thu May 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Garage Star has the TTT adaptor for about $444 NZD shipped here. The $60 odd saved will cover the vacuum block :D.

Then a Toyota (preferably a Levin) TPS sensor, vacuum block & hoses, injectors and an aftermarket fuel rail. Totals maybe $400 depending on how well you can hustle some parts.

If I start buying it bit by bit now I'll hopefully get there :lol:.

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Haha sounds good, dont forget you will be charged customs fees at that price.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 pm

and dont forget that you can buy a 2005NC RS mx5 for 20K and spend 10K on a TDR turbo kit and tune. thats an AWESOME car for 30K with all the modern stuff and fast as fuck for similar money to an old mx5 with a conversion.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm

10k on an R1 and it'll be faster and more fun than any mx5. Yes you'll probably die but you'll do it with a grin :wink: my next project will definitely be a bike.

Anyway, off to the Isle of Man TT to watch the most insane people in the world race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI

Furai

Post by Furai » Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Dont forget its not all about speed guys, fun and uniqueness comes into play too.

Would be boring if we all had the same thing.

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Thu May 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Furai wrote:Dont forget its not all about speed guys, fun and uniqueness comes into play too.

Would be boring if we all had the same thing.
Very Well put Furai. +1

Teamjelly
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

MX5 ITB Setup

Post by Teamjelly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Got a complete setup of 20v Throttlebodies on the Technotoy manifold ready to go if any one is keen
Cost me $700 up all, so happy to sell for what it cost me.

With a decent exhaust, and a good tune, you'll be looking at 110hp at the wheels, not massive power, but still alot better than the stock rating of around 90
Sounds great at full throttle :-)

Forget the vacuum blocks, no good for tuning ITB's, only real way to get a good reliable result is using the TPS via Alpha-N mode
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”