Radiator replacement

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Radiator replacement

Post by warrior » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Ok I am ready to replace my standard 1.6 NA radiator with an new one. My car is supercharged so I am after something with better cooling. I want something that I can replace with no mods to my car with the least fuss but will cool my car better.

Who have you guys used? Where can I buy and what can I expect to pay?

P.S Also will replace the hoses while I am am doing it so same again there.
warrior

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:46 pm

I recently replaced Angreal's one It was double the original width and full Aluminium, still used the Stock fan's but the fans get rather close to the Swaybar (2mm Clearance).

I have a 52mm Wide Fenix one I paid $280 here in NZ, however they have now claimed to other members that they have never sold any in New Zealand , Which is super weird. There are a few on trade me full aluminium ones which range between $200 (Redline) and $300. Which all look the part, but It may pay to inspect them on pick up for quality, Hope this helps

:wink:

Plus this reminds me I still need to sort you that Rad cap! PM Sent

REDBEN
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by REDBEN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Also if your willing to pay a little more for radiator hose's get some Samco Hoses they are very high quality and look the part too!

http://www.corksport.com/samco-miata-ra ... -1.6l.html

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 am

I just ordered a Mishimoto radiator from Dodsons pricey yes but you cant beat a lifetime warranty and from what I hear they really stand by that no questions asked

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Used NB lower hose for my NA from John Andrew ford...$15.00 -only way to go IMHO...assume the top hose is just as cheap?!

My full ali 52mm radiator cost $275.00 from trademe Aussie & does the job!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm

I have done some info seeking on radiator hoses, and the mechanics I asked all agreed that for the mx5, the OEM hoses are very good quality and generally have a similar lifespan or longer compared to decent aftermarket hoses.

if you really want the showcar look and want the blue hoses then open up your wallet and don't waste time with the cheap aftermarket ones, they tend to fail. An easy check is to give the hose a squeeze/bend, if when doing so the hose gets that "white look" at the point where the edges fold then its crap... a good aftermarket hose should not change colour when pinched together.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 pm

If I was to do it all again I'd get the thinner Koyo one purely because my radiator is so fat that the a/c fan lacks the power to cool the a/c bit through the new fat radiator. I'm thinking a solution to this will be to put a fan in the front to cool the a/c.

Haven't had any cooling issues with my giant oversized radiator and should happily deal with any extra heat I generate, plus looks sexy behind my piece of carbon kevlar :wink:

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”