question regarding head on a b6ze

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

na6*dori
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

question regarding head on a b6ze

Post by na6*dori » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 pm

upon stripping my engine down last week i have had what was sorted out in the garage nicely...is now not for some unknown reason. :?

now my issue is to do with the head.
Underneath the valve springs are somewhat of a flat washer, does anyone know if they sit below the spings on the intake or exhaust side? and would anyone know if the head bolts on the b6ze are torque to yield?
In which i trust, a cable ties a must

aidwano
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by aidwano » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:54 pm

I've reused head bolts no problem, don't think theyre torque to yeild.

I've got a head in the garage I can go look at if no one else knows your washer question.

na6*dori

Post by na6*dori » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 pm

yea just checking, have figured out the washer issue, we have a auto parts wash at work and 12 of then had gotten lost in there, they go under every spring.

Also just finished port matching the head and intake manifold, also did a mild port on the rest of the head at same time which should give it a whopping 2% more power haha

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:26 pm

na6*dori wrote:yea just checking, have figured out the washer issue, we have a auto parts wash at work and 12 of then had gotten lost in there, they go under every spring.

Also just finished port matching the head and intake manifold, also did a mild port on the rest of the head at same time which should give it a whopping 2% more power haha
Those are the shims and they are a specific thickness to each valve so I hope you labeled them

The shims are there to make the valve seats correctly if you put one that is to thick or to thin the valve will not seat

But im going off my knowledge of the NB with solid lifters but in principal i think the HLAs are the same in regards to the shims

na6*dori

Post by na6*dori » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:46 pm

thanks, ive measured the shims and are all same thickness, but mines hydraulic so should be sweet.

Another question is what sort of clearance between the exhaust valves and piston? my heads getting planed but just worried about collecting an exhaust valve when the piston chases it.... any ideas how much i could safely skim? i was thinking 15thou would be a safe amount

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am

If I remeber correctly 0.010" is what most people take off

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”