Pod Filter recommendations please

Discussions relating to Turbochargers, Superchargers, Induction, Engine Mods, Exhaust Mods, and other items specifically to make your MX5 or Roadster put out more power.

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, Born_disturbed

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Pod Filter recommendations please

Post by MrGrey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:41 pm

hello, I'm a bit of an MX5 newbie and was hoping to pick your brains a little :P

I have a 1990 1.6l auto mx5 that had been very well looked after by her previous owners. From what I have read, a pod filter only really starts paying off at 6k+ RPM so I fully realize that its a bit pointless and is little more than an audio/cosmetic upgrade.

But....... I love the sound of them :D

and so, I have a few questions.

A) are pod filters road legal? would I have hassles getting a WOF?

B) would I require an LVV cert?

C) if LVV certification is not needed and I would be fine with getting a WOF, are there any kits anyone could recommend? preferably a kit that includes a heat shield.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Re: Pod Filter recommendations please

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:51 pm

You're not going to gain anything, and in fact are almost certain to lose power unless getting a proper cold air intake, with a cold air feed from outside of the engine bay. However, to answer your questions...
MrGrey wrote:A) are pod filters road legal? would I have hassles getting a WOF?
Yes and no, respectively.
B) would I require an LVV cert?
No.
C) if LVV certification is not needed and I would be fine with getting a WOF, are there any kits anyone could recommend? preferably a kit that includes a heat shield.
A'PEXi Power Intake would be my go-to for a replacement air filter. I'd recommend a drop-in A'PEXi panel filter instead, though. You could also go K&N as a brand many recommend but I prefer non-oiled air filters.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Go with the pod.......you may lose a little or gain nothing but hell they sound GREAT!
warrior

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I like my apexi

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:46 am

Im just going to leave this here
Attachments
IMG_0718.jpg

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 pm

I don't like the foam type ones after my one fell to pieces on me and probably went through the motor... It did break my maf sensor

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:04 am

Without a cold air box and correctly testing pressures in the engine bay (This WILL affect your power) your best bet is to replace your factory filter with a K&N replacement or similar.

There are not alot of cars that will gain power by simply swapping a factory filter for a pod filter...

The yanks have alot of tests on the interwebs where theyve lost power or gained power doing various things.. and if Mazda made a car they would've tested a pod filter surely when making the intake.

HK_Fooey
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by HK_Fooey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Although stock intakes are often orientated towards noise reduction, and I don't think you could label any factory MX5 engine as tuned for power.

From my experience pod filters (whether in a cold air box or not) do improve throttle response. If it sounds good and feels good - who cares? :lol:

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:08 pm

I just impulse purchased this on trademe...
For fitting a 77m neck pod filter to vane type Air flow meters with bolt spacing of 82mm x 37mm and square centre hole

Common fitment is Mazda 323, familia, MX5 & Many model BMW. Also fits some Toyota such as SW20 MR2 Turbo and Camry

does this look like the correct adapter I require or have I bought something with the bolt holes in the wrong places?

-=edit=-

On a side note, I plan to make a heat shield myself but which would be better to fabricate it, stainless steel sheet or alluminium treadplate?

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by SkilletKid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 am

MrGrey wrote:I just impulse purchased this on trademe...
For fitting a 77m neck pod filter to vane type Air flow meters with bolt spacing of 82mm x 37mm and square centre hole

Common fitment is Mazda 323, familia, MX5 & Many model BMW. Also fits some Toyota such as SW20 MR2 Turbo and Camry

does this look like the correct adapter I require or have I bought something with the bolt holes in the wrong places?

-=edit=-

On a side note, I plan to make a heat shield myself but which would be better to fabricate it, stainless steel sheet or alluminium treadplate?
Looks like the same that's on mine (previous owner put it on though so not 100% sure). Should be easy enough to temporarily test fit since you've bought it already.
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 am

Bloomfish owns a mx5 NA, it'll be the correct sizing.
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: Pod Filter recommendations please

Post by Timmo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:You're not going to gain anything, and in fact are almost certain to lose power unless getting a proper cold air intake, with a cold air feed from outside of the engine bay.
On the NB at least, moving from the standard 'hotside' air filter location to the cold side using a pod helps mitigate half the problem. The standard filter location above/next to the exhaust manifold and then crossing between the engine and the radiator could hardly be worse.

The NA is a bit different as you need to keep the filter on the hotside due to there not being enough space on the coldside (due to the popup lights)
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm

As stated over and over, little gains.

Good noise, I'm running one, honestly cannot notice a power LOSS I do notice a better throttle response plus a cooler growl.

Go for it =]
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:49 pm

I received the filter adapter today and it fits perfectly, but I did notice some small flecks of alloy on the rubber gasket so I took a little time to sand the edges and clean it before installation (I don't want any fine pieces of crap going into the engine)

Installation went smooth and I was surprised how filthy my old filter was. I have made 2 braces to support the filter (I made a second much larger brace after the picture was taken) and now only have to get the heat shield made. I have made a template that I will give to an engineer friend of mine to fabricate. I will probably have the first prototype made of thin sheet steel and paint the engine side with a heat reflective white engine paint whilst painting the pod side with a heat resistant matt black. The tricky bit is going to be mounting it and adding some small braces to it to eliminate vibration.

all in all, its been a highly entertaining way to spend the afternoon
:lol:
Attachments
template.jpg
my heat shield template. hopefully it will only require minor alteration to fit.
air_filter_new.jpg
the thing that goes sucky sucky
air_filter_old.jpg
my dirty filthy dusty filter and airbox.
BEGONE! I banish thee to the corner of the garage!

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 am

I'll pop up a picture of my pod filter, seems to have an Apexi heatshield too. (I'm probably wrong)

As for the whole power gain/loss thing meh, its only at the most 2-3 HP we're talking about here. Are you really driving your car hard enough to shave that half a second off reaching the finish?

The sound is worth it imo :D

chris

Post by chris » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 am

Duude that 2 - 3 horsepower is crazy!!

Nah, you really don't notice it :)
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 am

its all gains and losses...

sure, by swapping out the filter I lost maybe 3hp but the BWARP and SHHHHHHH sound it now produces gives me an extra 5hp

I can also increase the hp by adding racing stickers....
I figure if I get about 20-30 of these stickers affixed to my car I will have a powerful racing beast....

..... please don't take me seriously :oops:

chris

Post by chris » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 am

Hahahaha every sticker adds 10FWKW
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

Return to “MX5 Power & Power Mods”