Has Facebook killed this forum?

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

RE10
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Has Facebook killed this forum?

Post by RE10 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Not many posts on this forum - but some great information from days gone by... Are internet forums doomed to extinction?
It will only be original once...

MX4000
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by MX4000 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Was wondering the same as a few other forums have gone very quiet over the last 6 months.......

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:32 pm

A pity really. The Forum was quite civilised, with sensible discussion, unlike the c**p you get on FB.

SiriusBlack

Post by SiriusBlack » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:30 pm

It could be that people are more adept at using a search function these days.

As a member of various forums, I've noticed the ones that seem to be surviving are mainly used by people too inept to use FB. Or people with just the one hobby. FB does have the convenience of putting updates for all hobbies in one convenient stream.

Junkwhale
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Junkwhale » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:33 am

I follow a bunch of forums and the FB page. I tend not to get involved in the FB one apart from using the Buy/sell (as the audience tends to be bigger and it's local).

In terms of information/discussion quality the FB page severely lacks behind the US forums (miataturbo.net & miata.net etc) so tend to go there for any enlightenment required. For RHD specific stuff the uk & aus forums tend to be better than FB still...

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:11 pm

yup its dead

nzmx5 page is pretty well moderated but does have a lot of hurr durr sell me lowered springs and a hardtop plz ftp posts
some very clued up people on there too but i suspect they were here a while back too

meearta.net has all the info anyway and mx5nutz in the uk has the english translated rhd version

oldschool.co.nz is mx5 friendly even if 1989 is borderline for oldschool

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:54 pm

I use both. This forum is still a good source of info and probably a slightly older crowd?
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

RE10

Post by RE10 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:39 pm

I recently attended a run, and was amazed at how young everyone was... (compared to me). Assumed that lots of middle aged people were into MX-5's for a social run and chat, but they were all not yet 20 and were looking at turbo and lowering options. Not what I expected :lol:
It will only be original once...

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi guys, I'll take your advice as to what to do here - still need a plan for this site. My plan was to move it to better/more modern forum software and then maybe add a few more features as I can.

I didn't realise how much chat was on facebook until I joined recently, but I did see a lot of it was buy/sell and a lot of cruft... There is a lot of history here too I don't want to lose - the archives are hammered by the search engines so people must value it.

However... I just haven't the time at the mo! Would be nice if any technically capable people could help. I am paying for a colocated server that only has this on it now, so really need to move it off.

A move to phpbb3 and across to my virtual server shouldn't be too hard, and then maybe a port to other software could work later? I'd potentially pay for some help if someone was capable... it would save me a heap of $ in the long run.

cheers
(z)

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Ants » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 am

The Facebook sites certainly have a lot of chat, and do have some good people on with good info, but I must admit that the information here is too valuable to lose. I wish I had the knowledge to help you zorruno, unfortunately I don't. I believe there is still a place for forums like this, as I find it easier to use when searching for something specific. Best wishes to all.
96 VR-A
Caution: May contain nuts!

Return to “Off Topic Chat”