Just wanted to share my good news

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Just wanted to share my good news

Post by MrGrey » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:11 pm

After putting in a lot of hard work on the wharf for this past year, I received a call from the big bosses that I will be getting trained to drive the ship cranes which is something I have been after for a while now. Although the work will be more intensive (eg require a lot more concentration) it is worth more money and opens the door for other dock orientated crane driving and offers me more opportunities as a skilled laborer.

Life is good and I am so happy I could just poop :)

P.S, this is nothing like driving a land crane .... those guys are slower than a retard doing Chinese arithmetic and land cranes do 90% of the work for you. Ship cranes are all skill and perception based (generally if you can drive a ship crane you can drive any crane but land crane operators generally struggle on ship cranes as they are out of their depth)

evel
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by evel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Congrates mate, more money for car parts!! :D :D

My dad has spent pretty much his entire working life on the Auckland waterfront, he can drive near on anything bar the ships cranes, he says it's just to damn hard
'94 S-Special 1800 in BLACK
Flares and 225/45 Semi Slicks.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 pm

I feel that I have a generational advantage in that the job requires a lot of hand eye co-ordination and having played video games for the past 25 years, I find it much easier to adapt and use the controls of the crane as opposed to some of the older guys (40+). I too can drive pretty much all the wharf equipment, but the real money is in either driving the diggers or the cranes. And as the diggers are more physically damaging (tracking over the logs buggers your back after a while) I feel that cranes were the best long term option for me.

And yes indeed, after clearing my VISA bill over this past year (I had $16,000 owing so you can imagine how crippling that was financially) I am focusing on getting my car exactly as I want it (I am still unsure if I can justify spending $3k on a fastback hardtop) but after that I will start saving for a deposit for a house. I have basically cruised through life and made some poor decisions and had some bad luck but now things are looking up for me and I am glad my hard work seems to be paying off.

*cheshire grin*
*happy dance*

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:50 am

Congrats MrGrey. Work hard - Play hard....... :lol:
98 NB Evolution Orange

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:48 am

Congrats on the moving up, expect to see the fastback soon, so then I can look at it and make a call whether I get one as well.

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Well done MrGrey.... You have made a lot of sacrifices over past year and it is now payback time. Catch up soon for a celebratory bevy. :lol:

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:33 pm

That sounds like a splendid idea Tim :)

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Nooooo don't do the fastback. I just received confirmation that mine is ready and being boxed up at the moment :-P

Also congrats and come to Tuvalu and make them empty the boat faster since they're so slow!

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Angreal wrote:Nooooo don't do the fastback. I just received confirmation that mine is ready and being boxed up at the moment :-P
Thought you were getting rid of your car and associated bits and pieces?

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:36 pm

MrGrey will become the Mr woolery of nz.
(google if ya dont know)
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Donovan wrote:
Angreal wrote:Nooooo don't do the fastback. I just received confirmation that mine is ready and being boxed up at the moment :-P
Thought you were getting rid of your car and associated bits and pieces?
I am but the car is still getting upgraded by the new "owner" :-P plus all the parts are pretty much there and the car needs finishing...

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 am

Also autokonexion are only making the shell for the foreseeable future due to the massive backlog. I was lucky because I've been in that queue forever :-P

thomasc023
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Re:

Post by thomasc023 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:40 pm

evel wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:02 pm
Congrates mate, more money for car parts!! :D :D

My dad has spent pretty much his entire working life on the Auckland assurance chien waterfront, he can drive near on anything bar the ships cranes, he says it's just to damn hard
This is a good article because there are many tips and also many advices that will be very useful for me.
Thanks!

Return to “Off Topic Chat”