New MX5 person

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

mango
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

New MX5 person

Post by mango » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi all.
Not entirely sure if this is kosher way, but this is one of those new user posts.
So, my name is Nathan, I live in Rodney, specifically Silverdale. I drive a faded red mx5 I purchased a number of months ago.
It's been lovely driving the thing up and down the north island.
I lost my rear wheel drive v card in this red rocket.
The stripped sound deadening and lack of carpet from behind the seats makes me feel as if I am driving a real monster.

The negatives I am experiencing currently include a stuffed rain rail and a shagged soft top frame which loves to leak. But hey, I am used to riding motorbikes and it could be worse eh.

Hobbies include;
An incredibly obnoxious hardtail LS650 which I am currently building.
Playing musical instruments such as the popular guitar and organ.
Listening to the music of the 60's 70's 80's + sometimes today.
The craze of 'Vaping'. Keeping me of the durrys m8
I also work part time as a Barista, I suppose that counts.

I currently am perusing education in graphic & web design kinda stuff so I am happy to offer my services in that regard.

I am one of 'those' guys who attempts to lightly tap the light up down button at any fellow mx5 for a omega kawaii wink.
Perhaps you have been a victim? Is this a normal thing?

Anyhow, I am new. I hope I can be a productive member of this wonderful forum.

I am also in the market for a 'cheap' hardtop (in an attempt to evade the leakiness) and other mx5 goodies so I will be posting up some WTB on the classifieds.

Thanks for accepting me guys :wink:

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Welcome to the Forum Mango. Nice intro. Well done. Thats the best start you can make to gain resect here. Check out my 3rd GRUVVY CRUISE THREAD happening this sunday.a good way to meet quality membrs.

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:24 pm

If by cheap you mean $800, you'll be fine.

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by SkilletKid » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:53 pm

I've never seen the headlight flick done to me. But I've done it by accident plenty of times (old owner did the 'flash to pass' wiring thing and it gets twitchy sometimes when I indicate).

See you around =]
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

mango

Post by mango » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:40 am

GRUVBB wrote:Welcome to the Forum Mango. Nice intro. Well done. Thats the best start you can make to gain resect here. Check out my 3rd GRUVVY CRUISE THREAD happening this sunday.a good way to meet quality membrs.
Thanks man. That would be awesome fun, unfortunately I work on weekends. I will be going to the next one I can get to.
BRM wrote:If by cheap you mean $800, you'll be fine.
Yeah, $800 is good. I have seen the occasional cheaper one come up. Yesterday there was a $650 one in Christchurch. That would be ideal.
SkilletKid wrote:I've never seen the headlight flick done to me. But I've done it by accident plenty of times (old owner did the 'flash to pass' wiring thing and it gets twitchy sometimes when I indicate).

See you around =]
See you :wink:

evel

Post by evel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Welcome Mango.
I love doing the little light wink flash thing to people so glad im not the only one.
Any plans on doing some sweet mods?
:D
'94 S-Special 1800 in BLACK
Flares and 225/45 Semi Slicks.

mango

Post by mango » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 pm

evel wrote:Welcome Mango.
I love doing the little light wink flash thing to people so glad im not the only one.
Any plans on doing some sweet mods?
:D
Good to meet ya m8

Not sure yet. I have the usual wants, suspension, exhaust, intake and some external cosmetic shit. Also wanting to attempt to get my hands on little after market interior accessories and things.
Other than that, at some stage, paint would be awesome :lol:
It's really all about waiting for things to come up.
There are tons of parts on US forums that are constantly being sold, but I don't think people are into shipping all the way down here :(

I have had a pretty large amount of vehicles in a short space of time and I think I have finally found one which I can keep and use as a bottomless money hole. So that's nice. :D

Ransom
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Ransom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Hello and welcome
Get a NZpost youshop address in the usa if you wanna buy from the forums over there most people cant be bothered sorting shipping to NZ
That cheap hardtop in chch went for the buynow of 800 within hours of being listed
Softtop cover and rainrail will cost you $300 odd nzd + shipping from the usa + fitting unless you are keen to fit it yourself

These cars are crazy fun the tighter the corners the more fun it is

mango

Post by mango » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Ransom wrote:Hello and welcome
Get a NZpost youshop address in the usa if you wanna buy from the forums over there most people cant be bothered sorting shipping to NZ
That cheap hardtop in chch went for the buynow of 800 within hours of being listed
Softtop cover and rainrail will cost you $300 odd nzd + shipping from the usa + fitting unless you are keen to fit it yourself

These cars are crazy fun the tighter the corners the more fun it is
Oh sweet. I did not know about that :D that is going to come in super handy.
The thing with my top is the frame is rusted through in little patches on some corners. I am guessing that's the cause of the leaking as it seems to correlate with the location of the leaks, but I am not entirely sure. The canvas bit seems in pretty good condition, but thinking about it now I don't know if it makes sense that the rusty frame could let water through. I might give Ross an email and see if I can source the entire soft top, frame and all, just to kill it all in one go. That is if I can source one for less than a hardtop :lol:

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Ross is an interesting one.
Also, you pretty much sound like the man. Are you at massey?

mango

Post by mango » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:53 pm

4A-GE wrote:Ross is an interesting one.
Also, you pretty much sound like the man. Are you at massey?
He seems nice enough :wink: I get the goods eventually.

Well thanks :oops: anyone with an alias named after one of the best motors in history must be pretty well informed cool guy :wink:
Nah, not at massey. I am in the most blandly named University in all existence.
Media Design School, Bachelor of Media Design in Interactive Design.
^wtf is that shit.^
It's a university on Albert St in a sky rise.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 pm

his name is DFV?
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi Mango, I live not far from you in Dairy Flat, and if you ever want to see a set of mods that have gone slightly out of control, you are welcome to pop around and take a look, but you won't see a decent paint job, still haven't got around to that one.

On another note, I have a softop frame (well will do tomorrow at least when I pick it up) so you can take a look at that one if you are interested.

mango

Post by mango » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Donovan wrote:Hi Mango, I live not far from you in Dairy Flat, and if you ever want to see a set of mods that have gone slightly out of control, you are welcome to pop around and take a look, but you won't see a decent paint job, still haven't got around to that one.

On another note, I have a softop frame (well will do tomorrow at least when I pick it up) so you can take a look at that one if you are interested.
Hey Donovan, that would be great. Checking your build out has me amazed. Very impressive :o there cant be many LS1 Mx5's over here. Awesome job.
I would definitely be interested in the frame. Will have to send you a PM.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:11 pm

mango wrote:Very impressive :o there cant be many LS1 Mx5's over here. Awesome job.
Actually 3, my NA, an NB with a LS1 that lives out west, and a NC with a LS3 that lives in the tron.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”