Fish & Chip Discussion

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Fish & Chip Discussion

Post by Angreal » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Well after ordering some fish and chips at the place that was recommended on this island, I was somewhat underwhelmed.

I suddenly have a craving for fish and chips at Swashies (obviously along with copious amounts of beer). Anyone down to joining me in a few weeks?

Also, anyone know of any good places around? Even ones somewhere in the North Island so I can have a reason to go on a bit of a road trip

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:08 pm

I fish for a hobby so recognise a good fresh fillet. If I have a craving for a gnaw then I go to a fish shop in Manurewa. Snapper is $3.50 and tarikihi $2.50. Its as close as poss to self caught. Shop is on GSR opposite Halver Rd. I know some others also as I have done fridge repairs in fish industry for a few years. Will post up later as visitor just arrived.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 pm

:( I miss the old owners from Fay's Place in Helensville. Some new people took it over a few years back and it hasn't been the same since. Used to be a nice place to go for a run out to and get a nice feed.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:28 pm

There are a few good local fish supplers out in the suburbs that no doubt members will recomend their favourite. I did work for the Oceanz franchise and they do resonable fish but I feel that it is overprced for the portion supplied. Generally the shops in the social welfare depend neighbourhoods tend to have high standard. Many of their locals eat fish on a regular basis. The product turns over regular so is usualy fesh as. They also dont have disposable income so the prduct is well priced also.
My father ate from Mt Eden Fish shop other day and raved about it. I have not tried it personally.
I did go for bike ride recently out to Piha and we had fish and wedges from the beach shop next to the surf club. This was exceptionally high quality as well. Wedges came with sour cream and would be up there as one of best I have eaten from a takeaway establishment. Fish was pricey st $9 but received 2x pieces and it was delicious with excrllent crisp batter. I would expect them yo charge a hit more yhan suburhs S they are in a seazonal clientel situation.
The batter is the factor thatt makez or breaks a quality piece of fish.
A friend of mine recommends the shop on Gosamer Drv in Pakuranga.

GRUVBB

Re: Fish & Chip Discussion

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Angreal wrote:Well after ordering some fish and chips at the place that was recommended on this island, I was somewhat underwhelmed.

I suddenly have a craving for fish and chips at Swashies (obviously along with copious amounts of beer). Anyone down to joining me in a few weeks?

Also, anyone know of any good places around? Even ones somewhere in the North Island so I can have a reason to go on a bit of a road trip
Im keen to come and soak up some of ambience and fluids. Have never been to Swashies but always wanted to. :o

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Where is it?
Blue cod out past botany was always my fish and chip mouth orgasm.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:58 pm

GRUVBB wrote: I did go for bike ride recently out to Piha and we had fish and wedges from the beach shop next to the surf club.
That would be my local shop when I was out west.

Swashies is right downtown in westhaven

sprsta

Post by sprsta » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:40 pm

keen for some swashbuckling action!
let us know when youre back in town.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:33 am

back in 3 weeks. I reckon after work on Thursday night August 14

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Looking forward to a good gnaw on some fish..... :o

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:29 pm

So I've lined myself up a date next Thursday night... People free next Wednesday after work?

I'll have to go on a mission to find tasty food

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:39 pm

I went on a date on Monday and visired Swashbucklers for a reccainessance run. They served our mains First and the entrees came after????? So the mains sat getting colder while entrees eaten. No time to enjog flavours before starting mains or able to chat drink or just let food settle. Pretty basic thing to get right I would have thought. They charge enough so should be more on to it. When complained they blamed waitress. I think the cook should know correct delivery sequence and shoild not start cooking mains till entrees delivered.
My friend has worked in 5 star hotels for years so she not impressed.... with the food that is. :wink:

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Haha I can think of many other places to go when going on a date ;-)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Angreal wrote:Haha I can think of many other places to go when going on a date ;-)
Felt like seafood on the day and Swashbuclers was closest to her apartment. Nigh went well regardless so all good.lol.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”