Importing automotive parts

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Importing automotive parts

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Sorry for being a little of mx5 track with this..... I need a new rear mono shock for my road bike. I cant seem to get what I want in NZ within a reasonable time frame. I have a price of £300 to supply and £40 freight for a replacement from the UK. My queery is would I be expected to pay any tax/duty/gst or other hidden costs when it arrives here in NZ. I know there are plenty of folks who have brought in components and should be able to give me sound advice on this one. Thanks in advance. Thats GRUVBB! :?:

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Over $400 will probably incur gst at customs.
As far as I'm aware, you can declare it to be less so you can skimp on the gst, but if it gets busted in transit you're not covered for the full value.

Probably best to just pay the shitty taxes for peace of mind. :P

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:28 am

I believe the limit is $250 before you can be charged gst etc.
I have bought in multiple items over $500 and have never been charged though, guess it depends who's working that day.
1990 NA6C MX5

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by SkilletKid » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:04 am

It's luck of the draw. I've been able to bring in $500 worth of stuff in one shipment and not get pinged.

I think higher prices and frequency will make them find you easier though (they had no trouble finding my wheels =[ )
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:10 am

Yeah its lucky dip mate. Get them to under value it, most places will do that. You should be fine
warrior

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am

The regulation is $400NZD including freight, anything over and above that, customs have the RIGHT to charge GST and duty, and there is the magical word, right, anything over that is the luck of the draw whether they do or don't, however the more you are over, the more likely you will get stung.

There is one way around it, and that is whoever is shipping the parts, puts the value down as a lesser amount on the export documents, so it works out less than the $400 thresshould, however, if the items go astray, all you will be able to claim back is what was on those docs, not what you paid.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:00 am

Donovan wrote:The regulation is $400NZD including freight, anything over and above that, customs have the RIGHT to charge GST and duty
To be nitpicky, I think the situation is that if GST + duty is $60 or more, then Customs can require it to be paid. If there is no duty, this gives the $400 threshold, but it would be lower for imports like booze.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:06 am

There is different duty rates on items, second hand car parts for example incur no duty, new car parts incur a different duty rate to electronics, etc.

It also makes a difference how they look at it, if you put a business address or home address.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/cha ... fault.aspx

http://www.customs.govt.nz/incommercial ... fault.aspx

jtsoldier
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by jtsoldier » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 am

If you wanna be safe about it, its best to go through whatsmyduty.

Does the calculating of stuff for you, then you know for sure either way what your obligations might be. Including registering to import items over $1k, etc.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”