Common courtesy.... another 'rant' lol - do we expect it?

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Common courtesy.... another 'rant' lol - do we expect it?

Post by harlansmart » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Is common courtesy lacking on our forum? Normally it is requisite, that a certain number of posts be achieved before a forum 'member' can start selling their wares on a Fora's 'Market Place' & this makes sense for a multitude of reasons.

Can we, perhaps, implement this here w/the NZ MX5 Forum, possibly people with zero posts shouldn't be allowed to sell items till a certain number of posts are achieved against their account, say '25' or so... i.e. make the Market Place a closed group & this is easily achievable w/this fora's platform.

People who have zero posts, but who post FS Adverts for their own benefit, seemingly & blatantly give the NZ MX5 Fora users as a collective, the proverbial 'finger', and fuck that I say.

What do others think, an amendment to the rules perhaps, bringing us in line w/other fora in general, encourage honest participation?

JM2CW

DVP

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:35 pm

I have to agree, it goes against the whole social aspect of the forum.

This is not trademe and I have noticed a few ads over time from names I have never seen before and have never seen again.... people should at least make an effort to be sociable, I am reasonably sure most of us don't bite.

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Reasons of trustworthiness aside, why?

While I agree it would be nice for more people to be sociable, I'm not sure I see the point of enforcing it for people who wish to simply buy or sell.

End of the day those who are buying from these single post people are benefiting also from parts availability, after all. Enforcing something like this would just end up strangling the availability and variety of what is listed.

By the same logic would you force new members to have at least 25 posts in the General Discussion sections before allowing them to "take advantage" of the knowledge in the Technical sections?

jtsoldier
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by jtsoldier » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm sure you do have the odd lurker peaking out through the crack in the closet door... Though in my case, it's more because I'd much rather steal your expertise than offer my nonsense.

On nonsense:
I'd like to think that members (new and old) would be offering to sell whatever their wares are to the community here as a first offering, as opposed to simply posting the TradeMe link and saying "go here if you want it".

But is this reasonable? should it be compulsory? Probably not to both...

Anyway - aren't the sales pre-moderated? If not, maybe they should be?

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:15 am

The last 2 For Sale posts are by users with zero posts.

Maybe that's why good users currently aren't advertising their good gear here 1st & loading instead onto trademe, I can see a bunch of us doing that right now... e.g. Really nice wheel though too Kieran, and I'm sure it will sell on Trademe fast :)

I say, letting these users use the forum like this is detrimental to the forum.... allowing those users to list For Sale items without even saying 'hellooo' makes us look like benders, there is no advantage as fas as I can see, not considering that plain disadvantages that are apparent.

Evidentially not JM2CW

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 am

What really makes me like mx5's is the community that form around them. Since I got mine I have met and been helped out by some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

So, with this in mind, I feel that Harlan is very valid in his criticism of johnny-come-lately's on this community site. In my opinion, if you are unwilling to socialize and become a member of the community then I feel you have no right to take advantage of the community services.

We limit posting pics to 10 posts and yet anyone can create an account and treat this forum like just another trademe. There are some wheels for sale and although the ad has been edited, they were originally listing a contact cellphone "as I don't visit this forum much" from a 0 poster.

The banner at the top says "New Zealand's Mazda MX-5 community" NOT "An alternative to trademe for your mx5 stuff"

*boop* .... have some karma harlan :)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 am

Im in agreement with the above comments..... These parasites dont even fill in details about themselves in the profile section. They are only interested in their financial gain.... Tell em to F*¥# Off or become a proven contributor first. :evil:

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:03 am

Maybe look at it from another point of view.....So what if they were selling something that you desperately wanted and if it was a good price would you not buy it!?. I think they would be doing me a favour by bringing it to this forum if it was something I needed.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:09 am

then you could buy it from them on trademe as it would be listed there as well.

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 am

Might not always be listed on TradeMe...plus the forum rules state that you only need to be registered to place an ad and not be a member for any period of time or post a specific # of posts, so you cant blame them really!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:09 am

Agree on the marketplace thing. n number of posts should be required for buying and selling. It's like trying to sell shit at someone elses's garage sale.

Needing to have posts before you can put pictures up is a really dumb rule, I've found. Should be the other way around.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:19 am

WideOpenThrottle wrote:Might not always be listed on TradeMe...plus the forum rules state that you only need to be registered to place an ad and not be a member for any period of time or post a specific # of posts, so you cant blame them really!
This is the crux of the thread.... It needs to be changed.... If they could not post on here then they would list it on Trade Me..... We want to keep the community aspect and not be a FLEA market.

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:19 am

Holy hell - this is like the first time I have seen so many people join in, and agree on something!

But yes - if you recall, I made an uproar about this some time last year, in regards to Ross (who DID take the advice and start posting more regularly)

@JTSoldier, how are you going to learn if you don't put your nonsense in? I always chuck my nonsense in and get corrected. Think of it as a community, not a forum. I am always checking this forum, because as MR.Shine said, the people on here are kind.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

chris wrote:Holy hell - this is like the first time I have seen so many people join in, and agree on something!

But yes - if you recall, I made an uproar about this some time last year, in regards to Ross (who DID take the advice and start posting more regularly)

@JTSoldier, how are you going to learn if you don't put your nonsense in? I always chuck my nonsense in and get corrected. Think of it as a community, not a forum. I am always checking this forum, because as MR.Shine said, the people on here are kind.
LOOK OUT!!!! We have stirred the vocal giant. :wink:

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

WideOpenThrottle wrote:Might not always be listed on TradeMe...plus the forum rules state that you only need to be registered to place an ad and not be a member for any period of time or post a specific # of posts, so you cant blame them really!
Double post.

Agree, you cannot blame them... However, I feel as if they were to post, that their contribution would be duly noted.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:22 am

I think the post limitation to stop pics (and links I think?) before 10 posts is to stop spammers and spam bots. It's a sad inconvenience of the times we live in.

I realize that there is the possibility that it may not be listed on trademe but the odds of that are very slim, why would someone list their item on a forum they do not use and ignore NZ's most popular auction site? (and you will note that most of these auction's just direct you to their trademe ad anyway)

I personally have the rule of thumb that if I wish to sell something mx5 related, I will list it here first at a discount as I know that the vast majority of people who view the ad would be members and I would want to give a little back to the community in some way to show my appreciation and then list it on trademe a week or more later at what I consider the 'normal' price.

I would assume that the forum rules have not been updated since the forums inception so maybe they could be tweaked if we can all come to some form of consensus?

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:53 am

So!...do I have to buy the Herald x number of times before I can place an ad? or write x number of letters to the editor?

I see the forum as an electronic newspaper among other things and is in the public domain and not a private organisation.

There may be ads,pictures,comments etc that I don't agree with but no-one is forcing me to read or buy anything!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Fair point, but you have to also bear in mind that the herald charges you to place an ad (at least they did last time I checked) and ad revenue is one of their primary sources of income.

not trying to argue, just stating a key difference...

BWA HAHAHAHA ... I lost karma! lol, seems someone is butthurt about my opinion :wink:

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Quote Mrgrey...not trying to argue, just stating a key difference...

funny!,thats how I see it too!..have a nice day!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:19 pm

you too! :)

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 pm

lol, sorry but j just gave C a karma... guess MG can have one tomorrow, is that how it works, '1 per day'?

So theres a very plain consensus, we've a forum similar to this as previously stated & its very simple to stop people posting in a sub-forum till a certain # of posts have been achieved... we recently chose to make our Buy/Sell/Swap visible to all, previously our Buy/Sell/Swap was only visible to forum members & this I was in 2 minds about but most of our mods were in agreement so 'that was that' - 25 proper posts are requisite before access is granted..

Why doesn't someone just do this & help the forum, would take about 3 minutes... if someone PM's me the Admin user/pass I can do it, do we want the marketplace visible to non-members as well as members or shall we make the marketplace visible only to members?

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi Harlan :D ..was this your very first post? lol

Topic: WTB: Mazda NA Drivers Seat - (ID 349)
harlansmart

Replies: 0
Views: 85
PostForum: MX5 Forum Classifieds Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:53 pm Subject: WTB: Mazda NA Drivers Seat - (ID 349)
A new advert has just been posted to the NZ MX5 Forum Classifieds.

CATEGORY.....7. Wanted to Buy
SUBCATEGORY... OEM MX-5 Parts
TITLE......... WTB: Mazda NA Drivers Seat
DESCRIPTION... Afte a dec ...
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

chris

Post by chris » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Well someone gets an A+ in stalking.

There is a large difference between sales, and asking for a part.

There is also a very large difference between the NZ herald and a car forum.

The largest being, the herald is a source of daily information provided by a named company.
A forum, is a place (community, if you will) where like minded people join together, building relationships, sharing your opinions/ideas.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Lol,

Actually that was before I even bought the habanero666, dunno what thats about, my 1st post was after I bought the vader/habanero666 car & when I was having teething issues on the 3 week/4,000km ride home lol... you see I had the harlansmart account back in 2011 as well.

Who has the user/pass for the admin control panel, someone PM it through to me & lets kill off people who join up to post a FS Advert that day then never post anything useful.

Somewhere in amongst all this crap in the forums Administration Control Panel is where you can do it... can't actually see right now exactly how to do it but I can ask the guys who look after our forum pretty easily enough.

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah strange isn't it....especially as I found it on your viewing profile on the bottom of page 12 which is the first post by you according to the forum records.

[0.60% of total / 0.28 posts per day]
Find all posts by harlansmart
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Return to “Off Topic Chat”