Mx5 mentioned in the NZ Herald's "sideswipe" today

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Mx5 mentioned in the NZ Herald's "sideswipe" today

Post by MrGrey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

Woodenhead behind the wheel
Dear Mr Mazda Roadster sports car: "I was admiring your courage as you drove around Auckland with the top down on a day punctuated by heavy showers.

My admiration turned to puzzlement as your car suddenly swerved into the bike lane, did a couple of wiggles then got back on track. Were you dancing to a catchy song? No, you were reaching for your mobile phone. So here you are driving along with your right hand holding your phone to your ear when it becomes obvious to those following that it must be pretty noisy in a convertible, because you then had to plug your left ear with your left hand. What astounding skill, driving with no hands. Thankfully you had the sense to slow down a bit - you were doing less than 40km/h by the time you finally hung up. Oh, the joys of driving in Auckland."
tsk tsk! I hope this was not one of us.
Granted I see this kind of moronic behavior from all sorts of vehicles far more often than I would like.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:49 am

I'll admit I thought the wiggling was the guy doing skids in the wet at first. But yeah mostly middle-aged mothers in their SUV's on the phone are usually the worst out there.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am

Fully agree ^

I was like "yay! Ripping skids :D :D"

Then "reaching phone" oh dammit >.<
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

4A-GE
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by 4A-GE » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:56 am

Skilfil wrote:mostly middle-aged mothers in their SUV's on the phone are usually the worst out there.
I've found 80% of the time, if I'm being tailgated, it's not by a bloke.

Being on the phone while driving's a punishable offence now... And this guy was in a 5? For all to see? I.e the pigs

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:01 pm

I have to comment on this one...

The other day I saw a woman in a Yellow Suzuki Swift on the Northwestern Motorway.
She was on the phone, with the phone squeezed between her cheek and shoulder, while applying makeup...
And to make matters worse she was in the fast lane doing about 70k holding up a whole heap of traffic!

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:54 am

I drive around plenty each day in Ak.... When you are on the motorway and a car infront has a massive gap between it and the car in front of them, it is usuall y as they are texting. I drive a van and can see them ALL with phones on their knees texting away, oblivious to the massive queue behind them. If the police had a mufty van on the roads they would generate millions in fines from this behaviour....
There are more texters in rush hour traffic. I guess they are organising dinner, family and private matters etc. :evil:

siren676

Post by siren676 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:12 pm

GRUVBB wrote:I drive around plenty each day in Ak.... When you are on the motorway and a car infront has a massive gap between it and the car in front of them, it is usuall y as they are texting. I drive a van and can see them ALL with phones on their knees texting away, oblivious to the massive queue behind them. If the police had a mufty van on the roads they would generate millions in fines from this behaviour....
There are more texters in rush hour traffic. I guess they are organising dinner, family and private matters etc. :evil:
I leave a pretty big gap in front of me all the time but have my phone off while driving, your logic is invalid :P
1990 NA6C MX5

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Yeah in rush hour traffic I tend to leave a bigger gap in front of me so I can keep rolling forwards while the cars ahead of me are stopping and starting all the time. By the time the gap has closed the cars in front will have hopefully started moving again. It makes it smoother for the few cars behind me and I'm sure my clutch appreciates it.

NicF
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by NicF » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Ah, cities!

I drive for 45 minutes each day to get to work, and wave to both people I see.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Simonmx5 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:21 pm

NicF wrote:Ah, cities!

I drive for 10 minutes and I don't wave at any of the 100 or so people I see.

siren676

Post by siren676 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:08 pm

authentic wrote:Yeah in rush hour traffic I tend to leave a bigger gap in front of me so I can keep rolling forwards while the cars ahead of me are stopping and starting all the time. By the time the gap has closed the cars in front will have hopefully started moving again. It makes it smoother for the few cars behind me and I'm sure my clutch appreciates it.
Exact same reason as me, that and both my cars are annoying to get moving from stopped. The starlet has a bad rear gearbox mount so jumps around a heap when taking off and the mx5 has a puk clutch and axletramps :lol:
1990 NA6C MX5

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Simonmx5 wrote:
NicF wrote:Ah, cities!

I drive for 10 minutes and I don't wave at any of the 100 or so people I see.
I sat stationary in traffic for 20 mins and felt like giving the finger to everyone I saw... :lol:

Return to “Off Topic Chat”