world famous in NZ

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

world famous in NZ

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:23 pm

looks like that white MX driver is (in)famous everywhere! Glad its not me...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/Mess ... 75&topic=1
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:02 pm

:( poor Kieran, says one thing which gets blown out of proportion and all the internet tough guy motorcyclists are out to get him
1990 NA6C MX5

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Happy my new roadster is blue...... Bet the chance of selling white cars drops for some time.

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by broomfish » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:32 pm

I like the comment
"Someone talking shit on a message board? Well, there's a first"
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:59 am

Maybe this will be a lesson learned that posting something on the internet means it will be there forever. It is also worth bearing in mind that there are a lot of 'not so bright' people out there who unless you are crystal clear can take your comments out of context (I mean, c'mon, one of the posters didn't even have enough of a clue to be able to copy/paste a URL). Bear in mind, I am generalizing here, not speaking directly of the context of Kierans posts.

Its the crazy facebook generation mentality, we KNOW that there are somethings that should not be put out there and yet we have a generation of people who think 'f*** it' and put it there anyway. I know we all are guilty of saying dumb things now and again but sometimes you have to pause and ask yourself "will this come back and haunt me in 10-20 years time"?

It reminds me of this video from the satirists at the onion news network:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2bniFJigI0

One other aspect to bear in mind, is that in this digital age people do not realize how much information about them is available online if you know where to look. This incident is an example that only scratches the surface. Personally, I do not know Kieran but I honestly feel sorry for him with how this has blown up in his face but if he learns from it, and maybe some others take a lesson from it then maybe some good will have come out of the situation.

I should also mention that maybe it would help the situation if you did some form of public retraction? sometimes it helps if you can openly admit that you did something stupid you regret and explain that a few dumb lines of text on the internet do not define who you are as a person and that you are sorry for the offense your statements have caused (and I will be honest, those bike riders have every right to be offended by someone threatening intention harm to them). The wrong course of action is to delete your post and hope it all goes away, as I stated in my first paragraph, this is the internet and things do not have a tendancy to disappear, especially once others have noticed it.

I am however a bit disappointed that it just creates a stigma on other MX5 owners, both threads I have read quickly move from the offensive posts in question to insulting MX5 owners in general. The whole situation is pretty sad and pointless really.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:46 am

Agree completely with the above. To be honest, the statement you originally made - made me think you were a douchebag... I'm not the slightest bit upset that it has bitten you in the ass however I hope nothing actually happens as a result of it.

For some actual help you may want to look into the following:

1. Change your rego
2. Block your plate from info being sought after it
3. Plastidip your hardtop white or sell it.
4. Don't ever leave your home again

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by PLSEME » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:19 am

So i drive a white MX5 & i ride motorbike...... :shock:

Think ill just stay home & play X-Box
Scientists now foresee the future will be much more futuristic than they first forswore

TehAshleigh
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by TehAshleigh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am

MrGrey wrote:Maybe this will be a lesson learned that posting something on the internet means it will be there forever. It is also worth bearing in mind that there are a lot of 'not so bright' people out there who unless you are crystal clear can take your comments out of context (I mean, c'mon, one of the posters didn't even have enough of a clue to be able to copy/paste a URL). Bear in mind, I am generalizing here, not speaking directly of the context of Kierans posts.

Its the crazy facebook generation mentality, we KNOW that there are somethings that should not be put out there and yet we have a generation of people who think 'f*** it' and put it there anyway. I know we all are guilty of saying dumb things now and again but sometimes you have to pause and ask yourself "will this come back and haunt me in 10-20 years time"?

It reminds me of this video from the satirists at the onion news network:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2bniFJigI0

One other aspect to bear in mind, is that in this digital age people do not realize how much information about them is available online if you know where to look. This incident is an example that only scratches the surface. Personally, I do not know Kieran but I honestly feel sorry for him with how this has blown up in his face but if he learns from it, and maybe some others take a lesson from it then maybe some good will have come out of the situation.

I should also mention that maybe it would help the situation if you did some form of public retraction? sometimes it helps if you can openly admit that you did something stupid you regret and explain that a few dumb lines of text on the internet do not define who you are as a person and that you are sorry for the offense your statements have caused (and I will be honest, those bike riders have every right to be offended by someone threatening intention harm to them). The wrong course of action is to delete your post and hope it all goes away, as I stated in my first paragraph, this is the internet and things do not have a tendancy to disappear, especially once others have noticed it.

I am however a bit disappointed that it just creates a stigma on other MX5 owners, both threads I have read quickly move from the offensive posts in question to insulting MX5 owners in general. The whole situation is pretty sad and pointless really.
^^

This.
Thank you.

chris

Post by chris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 am

Naww, I missed the bandwagon for this?!

I think it's just some biker that wanted to stir shit.

He got what he wanted.

We should just plastidip all our mx5s white.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Simonmx5 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 am

PLSEME wrote:So i drive a white MX5 & i ride motorbike...... :shock:

Think ill just stay home & play X-Box
You should get a little trailer for your bike and tow it around with your mx5! That way people will know that you go both ways!

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 am

Simonmx5 wrote: You should get a little trailer for your bike and tow it around with your mx5! That way people will know that you go both ways!
Sounds hot.

But yea, this escalated quickly lol. Even the initial details that were spread were kinda blown out of proportion.
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Explain this please :?:
Snapfrozen wrote: 2. Block your plate from info being sought after it

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:35 pm

harlansmart wrote:Explain this please :?:
Snapfrozen wrote: 2. Block your plate from info being sought after it