Registering an MX5 to get more expensive?

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Registering an MX5 to get more expensive?

Post by Timmo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Sheesh. I was on the fence about the increased levies for motorcyclists, but I think this is going a bit far.

Is ACC going to apply risk factors to people as well? Will taking part in high-risk sporting activities such as rugby or gymnastics going to increase your ACC levies?

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:30 pm

I would rather they focus more on the skill and driving history of the driver.

Take motorcycles for example, over 75% of all motorcycle accidents are NOT caused by the rider, usually they are caused by an inattentive driver not paying attention to what they are doing and yet it's the cyclists that pay higher costs because of these accidents.

now this is a generalization, but in my personal experience, SUV's *may* be the safest vehicles but they usually have the shittiest drivers.

I have been driving for over 20 years and I had 1 speeding ticket back in 1998 (62km in a 50 zone) and 1 ticket at the beginning of this year (112km on the puhoi motorway) otherwise my driving record is clean.

so I ask the question ..... would you rather be sharing the roads with me or a teenager in their parents pajero?

yay and stuff for higher costs... :/

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 pm

I ride a motorbike & I'm kinda ok with the increased ACC on it, a crash at 50kph on a bike will cost ALOT more in rehablitation than the same crash in a car!
Thats my choice to put myself in danger, so yeah I'll step up & pay the extra rego.
It sucks if its not my fault but that's what ACC is about.
Otherwise we all go around crying sue that person!
Cheaper than having personal health insurance like America etc I guess.
:wink:

It is rough when i wear all the safety gear on my bike but on paper im the same as the guy wearing a T-shirt, flip flops & no gloves going down the motorway at 120+kph but i live with it knowing he probably won't!

At the end of the day not all small cars have bad safety ratings and not all big cars / suv's have good safety ratings!

I spent money on a proper rollbar for my MX, why? Coz I would die if the car I choose to drive rolled.
Hey im not happy about it but choices have consequences, why should everyone pay for my choice of an unsafe car if I'm not willing to?
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:42 pm

My hypothesis is that motorcycles are at a higher risk of being involved in an incident due to being smaller and consequently harder to see. I'd be interested to see whether numbers back that up.

I'm not sure about the crash safety thing though. It's one factor among many that determine your risk of injury in a crash.

I also have to question the benefit of doing this: it seems unlikely to change car buying habits in practice, and it's a regressive system because safer cars are newer and more expensive, so it's a saving for the affluent.

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 pm

marcellarius wrote:My hypothesis is that motorcycles are at a higher risk of being involved in an incident due to being smaller and consequently harder to see.
Working on that theory, a Kenworth should be real cheap to register eh
98 NB Evolution Orange

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Stevo wrote:Working on that theory, a Kenworth should be real cheap to register eh
The human brain is amazingly good at creating the illusion of perception, but in reality it's far from perfect.

It is no coincidence that it's a legal requirement for motorcyclists to have their lights on at all times.

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Funnyly enough riding a motorbike & driving a truck require very similar defensive driving styles.
When on a bike you expect people not to see you, when driving a truck you know people see you but you expect them to pull out in front of you anyway. :roll:

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:09 pm

It's good defensive driving in general. If someone drives into you it may not be your fault but it's still your problem.

I'm normally pretty careful about checking mirrors/blindspots and keeping track of my surroundings, but I had a scary experience a few years ago driving on a dual carriageway. I needed to change lanes so I indicated, checked mirrors and over shoulder. Everything looked clear so I started to change lanes, checked the mirror again and saw a bike, really close in the right lane. I don't know if he was there all along, or was travelling faster and moved through my blindspot while checking.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Sigh... having a bike and an mx5 I guess I should just start cycling. It's free and I'm more likely to die :lol:

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

well, on the positive side Angreal, a bike has less surface area, so that's less mud to clean off :wink:

Back on topic, how about something like a system whereby the more driver training you do, the more discount you get? (eg defensive driving courses and so forth), Wouldn't it be more important to focus on reducing the volume of accidents rather than reducing the damage when they do crash?

The news articles I have read mention that this would favor the wealthy as they are the few who can afford a new car (as well as businesses, which are the greatest purchaser of new cars) and I tend to agree with this conclusion.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:46 am

I doubt $100 a year is going to change people's attitudes or choice of car, and it's nothing on the cost of finance for a newer vehicle.

I just think it seems like tinkering that doesn't really make things better.

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:56 am

marcellarius wrote:It's good defensive driving in general. If someone drives into you it may not be your fault but it's still your problem.
This is the best quote I have heard for a long time. :D
98 NB Evolution Orange

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 am

What I don't quite understand about it is, in terms of cost to the taxpayer via ACC payouts, what you WANT is the driver to just die in a crash rather than be injured (and therefore require many thousands of dollars in medical care)....so really unsafe cars should be cheaper :lol:
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Kieran
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 am

MrGrey wrote: Take motorcycles for example, over 75% of all motorcycle accidents are NOT caused by the rider, usually they are caused by an inattentive driver not paying attention to what they are doing and yet it's the cyclists that pay higher costs because of these accidents.
No most motorcycle accidents are caused by the dickhead on the bike doing stupid shit instead of staying in the line of traffic

e.g. overtaking me on the left side of the road which is an illegal maneuver!!

I CAN'T SEE YOU APPROACHING ON THAT SIDE!! IF YOU WANT TO OVERTAKE. OVERTAKE DON'T UNDERTAKE!!
Last edited by Kieran on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 am

"I can't see you on that side" & "I will try and hit you" -do you use 'the force' to aim for these dodgy invisible moto riders?

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Last edited by Kieran on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36 pm

just FYI I am getting my information from 2 friends who are full time riders (they ride BMW's and have full protective equipment). One of them, Max, is a statistics nut so I generally take his word for it when he quotes percentiles (as he actually looks them up rather than pulling them out of his ass like most people)

I cannot speak for the driving skill of gang members on "Hardly Ride-able" motor cycles, numbnuts on scooters or kids on dirtbikes.

I will say however, that I see far more bad drivers than bad riders.

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

MrGrey wrote:just FYI I am getting my information from 2 friends who are full time riders (they ride BMW's and have full protective equipment). One of them, Max, is a statistics nut so I generally take his word for it when he quotes percentiles (as he actually looks them up rather than pulling them out of his ass like most people)

I cannot speak for the driving skill of gang members on "Hardly Ride-able" motor cycles, numbnuts on scooters or kids on dirtbikes.

I will say however, that I see far more bad drivers than bad riders.
Absolutely agree I see far more bad drivers than bad riders but I believe that is due to the number of cars vs bikes

And on numbers I would hazard a guess the number of as you rightly put it
"gang members on "Hardly Ride-able" motor cycles, numbnuts on scooters or kids on dirtbikes"
vastly outnumber the people like your friend who actually know the road rules and use safety gear

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Kieran wrote:
Now that my rant is over please be warned anyone here who rides a bike if you see a white NB with a black Hardtop don't try and undertake me because I try to hit those people... I have some damage on my front passenger fender that needs to be fixed and I don't care about hurting you for a free repair.
Just to confirm for the police and court case, you are trying to injure/kill someone to get a free repair on your car?

broomfish

Post by broomfish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:34 am

marcellarius wrote:I doubt $100 a year is going to change people's attitudes or choice of car, and it's nothing on the cost of finance for a newer vehicle.
I agree. You get what you can on the budget you have. If someone has a $4k budget for example im sure there would be no cars in that price range that qualify for a lower acc levy
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Kieran wrote:
No most motorcycle accidents are caused by the dickhead on the bike doing stupid shit instead of staying in the line of traffic

don't try and undertake me because I try to hit those people... I have some damage on my front passenger fender that needs to be fixed and I don't care about hurting you for a free repair.
Claims motorcycle riders are dicks, then says he'll hit them for a free repair.

WhiskeyTF
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by WhiskeyTF » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:54 am

Quoth Kieran:

"don't try and undertake me because I try to hit those people... I have some damage on my front passenger fender that needs to be fixed and I don't care about hurting you for a free repair...

"well its front fender damage so I spot them when they get along side me and try react quick enough I have missed 2 times now... 3rd times the charm...

So, Kieran, you've tried to injure someone twice already.

Um, Kieran; when you have your inevitable accident this will be used against you in a court of law and you will end up with no insurance coverage. Best to leave the country now and go live on Nauru for a few years until you can live this down. But sadly for you, the internet will store your threat for quite a long time, d'you see?

ross
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ross » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Kieran; Your a moron..Your comments are a bad look for any mx5 owner.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showt ... ree-repair

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:11 am

Lol now the bikers are getting mad and bagging on 5s in general, even though I move way the fk over in traffic for them. :roll:

Return to “Off Topic Chat”