Photography thread

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 pm

^^
Gawd i know right.

I actually started developing my own film..

Mr. Shine
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:27 am

I used to back in high school and I wouldn't mind going back to it if I could. Practicality prevents that, though!

Main expense though is scanning the negatives while development alone is quite cheap. I'm wanting to buy my own film scanner though, because with a decent negative scanner film is far, far superior in resolution to consumer digital ;)

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 am

BRM wrote:I actually started developing my own film..
It's a lot of fun huh :)? Me and my partner spent hours in darkrooms developing when she was at uni, makes me want to have my own room some day!
Mr. Shine wrote: because with a decent negative scanner film is
far, far superior in resolution to consumer digital
You're talking about medium format and larger right? 35mm doesn't really compare well to modern cameras (although it's still decent, and fun to use).

Large format though, damn, the size you could blow those pictures up to and have them remain sharp was incredible!

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:21 am

CordedBowl wrote:You're talking about medium format and larger right? 35mm doesn't really compare well to modern cameras (although it's still decent, and fun to use).

Large format though, damn, the size you could blow those pictures up to and have them remain sharp was incredible!
In terms of resolution, scanning at 4800ppi will give you a good 30MP but you'd need a sharp image to start with I suppose. I'm not sure how well a piece of 35mm film would take a 9600ppi scan (which it seems is the current standard) but that'd give a good 123MP.

If you had access to a scanner that could do medium and large formats then obviously that would dramatically improve too!

TehAshleigh
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by TehAshleigh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Sunburnt as!
Just got back from meremere, watching Kieran-fizzle at HoriDori.
My friend Andrew ( www.andrewburns.me ) got snap happy!
Taken on 7d with 40mm lens
Check out his website if you want - hes got some awesome film footage.
:)

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Can't really say anything about the camera ,Taken by a member of the public in the stands,Its just a awesome photo taken last Saturday night at Woodford Glen Speedway,Just so happens to be the car i crew on every race night 73C ,Fluffys Racing.

TehAshleigh

Post by TehAshleigh » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Just back from Hampton Downs for D1 Practice day.
Dusted off the 500D and took along with me a 15-85mm lens (churr to Freshly Whipped for lending!). So suprised at the clarity of the shots i got.

Ive pretty much decided that im going to settle with this lens, as well as a 50mm.

Anyway, here are my best shots:

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Those are some really nice panning shots Ashleigh! I'd highly rate something like a 55-200mm for your 500D, as if you want to get shots from slightly further away you may find 85mm not quite long enough. If you want to spend good money go for either a 70-200mm f/4 or be a baller and get a 70-200mm f/2.8 :lol:

Here are some of my shots from Pukekohe on Monday. Wanted to get down to Meremere as well, but didn't get the chance.

TehAshleigh

Post by TehAshleigh » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I don't have several grand to blow on a lens unfortunately =(
I think you can pick up a 15-85 for about $600 second hand. The boyfriend has a 70-200 so ill get sneaky and steal his. Yayur.

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:18 am

TehAshleigh wrote:I don't have several grand to blow on a lens unfortunately =(
I think you can pick up a 15-85 for about $600 second hand. The boyfriend has a 70-200 so ill get sneaky and steal his. Yayur.
For automotive photography there's pretty much zero use for professional zooms unless you need some extra reach you can't get from cheaper zooms.

Do you still have the 18-55mm kit lens? If so I'd suggest looking at a 55-250mm to go with it instead of only getting a minor amount of extra reach from the 15-85mm :)

TehAshleigh

Post by TehAshleigh » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:51 am

Yeah I still have it, it's a hack though. I hate using it.
I'm so stoked to have a hobby to save for that doesn't involve cars... Haahhh

TehAshleigh

Post by TehAshleigh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Got my hands on a Sigma 85mm 1.4 lens and managed to get a pass for D1NZ media. Heres my favourites so far:

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:40 pm

I didn't see the new posts, great photos guys.

That lens looks magnificent Ash, I REALLY love the photo of the '86 (the asphalt arrow adds so much to the shot!) I have to edit the shit out of my photos to get background separation like that.

What's it like on a crop sensor (if that's what you're on)?

Trying my hand with video a bit more now, made a little clip to try capture the sound of my car (it sucks, halp.) I don't endorse public hooning (keep it on the track). Any feedback is good feedback; http://youtu.be/rw08sxVOk2U

Came back from the Taupo race meet this evening, what a fantastic weekend filled with great cars. Everything from formula fords, american classics to super sports cars.

I love these mirrors.

Sickass M3 GTR. Have you done work on this BRM?

Beautiful.

MX5 content :D

TehAshleigh

Post by TehAshleigh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:36 pm

I love the last photo in that set, the colour is awesome and its a really crisp shot.

Yeah the 85mm prime is a fantastic lens, im lucky enough to have it at my diposal for the rest of the D1NZ season - next stop is Tauranga this weekend, should be a goodie!!! I still think its brilliant on crop, if you want, i can try get some shots of it on my bfs 7D and see what the comparisons like.

Ive just purchased a 15-85mm Canon lens for the event. Put me back almost a thousand dollars but is worth it. Its so versatile, i am in love already. Being ultransonic and image stabalised makes it perfect for motorsport photography, and on top of that the clarity is fantastic. Im looking forward to taking some shots at 15mm width.

Ill show you photos from that lens next week!

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Do you mean your boyfriend's 7D or 6D Ashleigh? 7D's still crop but it's a brilliant sports shooting camera. 15-85 would be about perfect for automotive shooting for Canon's 1.6x crop. Nice and wide for still shots while the 135mm equivalent I've found is about where I sit at full frame for most of my action shots.

I've picked myself up a D3s in the last month or so but haven't had a chance to take it out into the field so to speak. Burst mode at 9-11 frames per second sounds like sex, and it'd be really good for track shooting. I've had a serious lens upgrade as well, with my current kit being a Sigma 35/1.4, Nikon 85/1.4 and the new Tamron 70-200. I think I love my 85/1.4 most of all!

Guess I need to get out and get some motorsport shooting done :P

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:11 pm

ok thats it! ENOUGH!!!

I'm going to take my 450D to the camera shop for a factory reset and recalibration!.
i have a nice old Canon eos 50 film that takes great pics but this bloody digital just lacks contrast and image sharpness.
if i try and give a stop or two less it just lacks the contrast it should have. other than that it lacks colour..pretty much everything that makes a pic good. hope its not a dud. been battling it for two years now with less than satisfactory results....
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Do you shoot in raw and edit afterwards SLYDIT?

It really adds a lot (sometimes too much!) to photos.

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Got a new camera body a few months ago, upgrading from the 1100D to a 60D and can say it was a huge improvement on my image quality with a higher burst speed and better autofocus.
Keep forgetting to swap back from jpeg to raw.

1990 NA6C MX5

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 pm

SLYDIT wrote:ok thats it! ENOUGH!!!

I'm going to take my 450D to the camera shop for a factory reset and recalibration!.
i have a nice old Canon eos 50 film that takes great pics but this bloody digital just lacks contrast and image sharpness.
if i try and give a stop or two less it just lacks the contrast it should have. other than that it lacks colour..pretty much everything that makes a pic good. hope its not a dud. been battling it for two years now with less than satisfactory results....
Do you want to post some photos to show us what you mean? Even better it'd be good if you could email a raw file rather than a jpeg to look at. PM me if you'd like :)

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Mr. Shine wrote:
SLYDIT wrote:ok thats it! ENOUGH!!!

Do you want to post some photos to show us what you mean? Even better it'd be good if you could email a raw file rather than a jpeg to look at. PM me if you'd like :)
Ha not really. They are shit compared to those posted here. After seeing whats posted i'm definitly sending it back for recal. My eos 50 film camera shits all over it in terms of pic quality.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 am

Here's a few random shots of what I've been up to recently I suppose

Loving how dreamy f/1.4 can make everything :)

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:28 am

Dat bokeh doe

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:58 am

CordedBowl wrote:Dat bokeh doe
Haha! Yeah, all of those bar the bumblebee (which was taken on the Nikon 105/2.8 VR macro) were taken on the Nikon 85/1.4D which is known as "the cream machine". I was tossing up between it and a Sigma 85/1.4 but glad I chose the Nikon...

That said Sigma have announced their Art series replacement 50mm f/1.4 which will be interesting to compare to other 50/1.4 lenses, and an Art series 85/1.4 should be out later in the year... if their 35 is anything to go by, it'll be stunning!

TehAshleigh

Post by TehAshleigh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:25 am

Heres a couple from the weekend. Sorry, these arent in awesome quality as they are straight off facebook.
D1NZ WAS WICKED!!!!!!

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:19 am

Fricken awesome!

What kind of shutter speeds we you using 1/100-ish?

Return to “Off Topic Chat”