Waaaay off topic: Netflix and Hulu

Talk about stuff not related directly to MX5s. Feel free to discuss what you like, as long as you keep within the forum rules.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif, r3spct

NicF
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Waaaay off topic: Netflix and Hulu

Post by NicF » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Absolutely nothing to do with cars in general or 5s in particular, but I thought with winter looming on the horizon I'd share how I get a huge amount of streaming movies for a pittance.

Netflix and Hulu are streaming video sites much like Quickflix but with a hugely bigger selection. Trouble is they're only available to USA based IP addresses. They're also cheap - US$8 a month. So I bit the bullet and signed up with VPN provider for $35 a year, privateinternetaccess.com, they send an install file which does the whole VPN setup for you, you chose which gateway to use, I chose US-California. Hey presto, the provider now thinks your IP is Californian and lets you sign up.

Hulu runs through Flash player which doesn't go well on Firefox for me so I run that through Internet Explorer. Netflix runs through Silverlight so I run that through IE as well.

As far as hardware goes I'm feeding by wireless into a budget laptop with HDMI out to my TV. Very budget, it has integrated video so no flash video card needed, and I see on line that the set top boxes you can buy are Atom powered, so huge processing power isn't necessary. Buffering time is negligible - maybe 20s.

Quality is way better than Sky satellite. I've cancelled my Sky subscription now.

Absolutely stoked, especially seeing as I can go to bed and fire it up again the next night and it automatically picks up where I left off.

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Re: Waaaay off topic: Netflix and Hulu

Post by Growler » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 pm

NicF wrote:Quality is way better than Sky satellite. I've cancelled my Sky subscription now.
Yeah...but can you get the V8 Supercars from it...

na6*dori

Post by na6*dori » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

movie2k is free lol
In which i trust, a cable ties a must

NicF

Post by NicF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 am

Not saying it's the best, just works for me. I will check out movie2k though.

Hulu has a SpeedTV channel which is all car stuff.
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

gerstein
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by gerstein » Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Or use 1channel and pay nothing at all :P

billyelliott80
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by billyelliott80 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Streaming VPN is known for catering ultra fast VPN network services, which are optimized the right way for streaming multimedia. I often enjoy watching different videos availing their services and that too at the most unbeatable prices and competent customer services.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 am

i use slingshot which has a global mode so you can watch U.S and BBC content. i havent tried netflix yet through slingshot so will give it a try and see if it works. if it still gets blocked i use media hint addon for firefox. i'm running an HTPC hooked up to my TV with XBMC as my media player
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “Off Topic Chat”