FAQ: MX5/Eunos Roadster/NA/NB/MKI.... MX5 Models for Newbies

FAQs on everything you wanted to know about the MX5 but were afraid to ask.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif

MX5PWR
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

FAQ: MX5/Eunos Roadster/NA/NB/MKI.... MX5 Models for Newbies

Post by MX5PWR » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:48 pm

"Is it an NC, NA, NB, Series I, Series II, Series III, NA6, NB8, Eunos Roadster, Miata or MX5?. A Japanese import or NZ new?"

I can still remember my first few club outings when everyone else seemed to be speaking this strange language and now I find myself doing the same and have realised that there are a lot of new members who have absolutely no idea what we are on about. I will try and explain how you can understand what all these strange people are talking about, as well as covering some of the different models that are available in NZ.

While the car we all know as the MX5 has been around since 1989, it is known by different names in different markets and is quite often referred to by its chassis prefix i.e. NA for series I, NB for series II, and NC for series III. (the chassis number is stamped into the centre of the firewall above the back of the engine, as distinct from the VIN number which for imports is on an aluminium plate riveted onto the car either in the engine bay or sometimes by the drivers door)

Names given around the world.

MX5 – In NZ, Australia and Europe the car has always been known as the Mazda MX5 and for NZ new they will be badged on the rear panel will Mazda and MX5. The model from 2006 onwards is also now known as MX5 in America.

Eunos Roadster – Have a look at all the club member’s cars lined up at the next outing and ones with Eunos and Roadster badges are imports from Japan. By far the majority of MX5s in NZ are Japanese Imports.

Miata – A name not very often seen here as this is the name given to the car in America. I had a 1990 Japanese import that was badged Miata although where and when it was badged Miata is unknown, it was also Yellow, yet Yellow was not produced until 1991.

As mentioned above, the 2006 on model is now known as MX5 around the world which caused some consternation amongst the Miata club members in the US.

Series of MX5s

Series I – Also known as NA. The series I is the pop up light model that was produced between 1989 and 1997. It came in 1600cc (NA6)(1989 to 1993) and 1800cc (NA8) (1993 to 1997) and was available in both manual and automatic.

There were four standard colours, White, Blue, Red and Silver. On the first anniversary of the release of the MX5, Mazda released the Green with Tan interior as the V special (commonly referred too as the BRG).

The early NZ new models did not have power steering, air-conditioning or electric windows.

The series I was also released as a limited edition in different guises at different times.

Most body panels and fittings are interchangeable between the years as is the soft and hardtops.

Series II – Also known as the NB. The series II (which have fixed headlights) were available from 1998 to 2001 and also available in 1600 and 1800 engine size in Japan. They came with ABS as a factory option. Air con was standard. The RS model also had Bilstein gas shocks.
NZ new Series II models were only available in 1800. They were available in both manual and Automatic. Air con and ABS Brakes were an optional extra and therefore very few NZ new have Air con fitted.

Series II.5 (face lift model) -The face lift model has a new larger front air intake, slimmer headlights with a different light configuration, new variable valve timing engine. The interior has higher backed seats, a new central consol that will take CD cases lying flat and white gauges.

NZ new have ABS however Air-Con is still an optional extra.

The soft top on the series II has a different frame and a glass rear window, it can however be retro fitted to the series one. Hardtops from any model of series I or series II will fit any of the series I – II. Not all cars had the hardtop heated rear window wiring and switches fitted.

Series III – Also known as the NC. This is the all new shape 2 litre model. They have been available as NZ new since Oct 2005 in both 6 speed and tiptronic transmission. They are now available as Japanese imports in 5 speed, 6 speed and Tiptronic. The 5 speed is a lower spec model when compared to the other two options.

How do you tell if it is an import?

As mentioned above, imports from Japan are badged as Roadster on the rear, however some owners re badge them with MX5. Therefore the easiest way is to have a look at the registration sticker which shows the year of manufacture i.e 1997 and also has the month and year of first registration in NZ i.e 4/97. As in this case the year of registration is the same as the year of manufacture, it would almost certainly be a NZ new. If the date of registration was 7/01, it would be an import.

Regardless of which car you have – just get out and enjoy it !!

MX5PWR
Attachments
Series II point 5 small.jpg
Series II (Facelift model) 2001 to 2004
my laguna.jpg
Series I 1989 to 1997
Series II.jpg
Series II 1998 to 2000

Return to “MX-5 History, Model Details, & Newbie Info”