Dash warning light.

FAQs and Howtos for electrical, lighting, Audio and other electronic projects or tweaks for your MX5.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif

Kaimera
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Dash warning light.

Post by Kaimera » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 pm

There is a red Heater warning light on all the time in the centre of the instrument cluster when engine is running. Does anyone know what and possibly why. I really hate red lights on the dash at the best off times.
Yellow 1990 NA 1.6 manual

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: Dash warning light.

Post by Keith Jones » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:58 pm

It's the catalyst overheat light.
Check under the car and see if you still have the catalyst. The JDM cars have a sensor to detect if the catalyst is getting too hot. Most catalysts were removed years ago, and when you unplug the sensor, the light should go out.
If you still have the cat with the sensor plugged in, remove it and tie it out of the way.

Kaimera

Post by Kaimera » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:58 am

I am confused...Yes I still have a Cat. or something that is in the right place and looks like one.
But there is nothing plugged into it. Put her up on a ramp and had a pretty good look.
There is however a plug and wire coming off between the Cat and the exhaust manifold. According to my Haynes Manual which is pretty confusing anyway it is the oxygen sensor and is not to be touched. Dumb question..If I just remove the dash bulb will the computer have a conniption..? :?:

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:16 pm

It's OK to take the dash bulb out. Won't cause any problems.

Kaimera

Post by Kaimera » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you for that. Almost sounds too easy. Must be the age, She has done 310K and has had a lot of work done including a new looking exhaust and some fancy looking headers.About $1500 worth according to the previous owner. The engine is a good add for Slick 50. Looking at the label probably treated about 100k. I retreated her at 300k. Burns no oil, and at oil and filter change at 5000km oil is still just a very light straw color. I don't chuck it I reuse it when I do an oilchange on my Hilux. :D

Return to “Lighting, Electrical & Audio”