HOWTO: GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor and Emanage Blue ECU

Put anything else that doesn't belong in one of the other HowTo categories here. If there is enough of one type, we'll create another HowTo category and move them across.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Growler, jif

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

HOWTO: GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor and Emanage Blue ECU

Post by zorruno » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:36 pm

For my 1.8L Supercharger setup I bought a Greddy/eManage Blue and I was recommended to purchase a Mass Airflow Pressure sensor for ease of tuning.

Thanks to Po1son & Slydit for the following info, collated here:

I purchased a new GM 2 Bar MAP sensor from:

Capital Instruments NZ (2006) Ltd
350 Church St Penrose Auckland
Ph +64 9 634 7722

Their part code is 9M113N - it is an aftermarket product, but for replacement of an original Holden part.

Cost was around $115 +GST (slightly cheaper as my company happened to have a trade account there). They had one only in stock.

The technical contact there is Charlie Bentley (Logistics and Technical Manager) although I didn't need any help as Po1son had already done the research for his project...

You need a GM or Holden MAP sensor plug for it, which I got from a Holden Wreckers around the corner (Po1son bought his from EBay). I showed the guy the sensor and he knew exactly what I needed (although there was some plug modification to be done - see below):

Sayers Auto Spares
27 Angle St, Onehunga
Ph +64 9 6220209
www.sayersautospares.co.nz

Cost was $10 incl GST for the plug with about 10cm of cable hanging off it.
Last edited by zorruno on Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:05 pm

My MAP sensor is shown below. I'm told that the pin configuration from left to right is:

[GND] [Signal] [+5V]
Attachments
2009-02-26-243.jpg
GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor Closeup with pinouts
2009-02-26-237.jpg
GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor
Last edited by zorruno on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(z)

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Note that the Orange part of the MAP sensor socket has little mating tabs. One on the left hand socket and one in the middle socket.

Now of course the plug that I was given had different mating slots, and apparently this is due to different aged holden connectors/MAP sensors.

You can fix this by creating mating slots as shown in the pics below. My work is not pretty, but it seems to work OK. Note I could have just created one slot in the middle pin of the plug and mounted the plug upside down, but I wanted the mating clip to work so it didn't have the chance to fall out...

Also, and not shown here, I cut down the green rubber gasket slightly (took about one third off) as the mating clip wouldn't fasten due to the thickness of this gasket.

I cut the slots with a sharp box knife (was pretty easy), and cut the gasket with the box knife and sharp scissors.
Attachments
2009-02-26-245.jpg
GM MAP Sensor Plug, Modified to fit
2009-02-26-248.jpg
Side view of GM MAP Sensor Plug

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

link electrosystems also have a 2.5 bar map sensor for 105+gst plugs into the factory afm plug and looks pretty flash

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:26 pm

sprsta wrote:link electrosystems also have a 2.5 bar map sensor for 105+gst plugs into the factory afm plug and looks pretty flash
Thanks for that, but the Emanage is a Piggy-back ECU. You need to retain the factory AFM, as well when you add the MAP Sensor. The MAP sensor plugs into the Emanage.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 pm

ok
link also comes with a plug and a short loom to wire it in when you buy the sensor

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 am

This is the Greddy Emanage connection pinouts for the MAP Sensor
Attachments
emanage_MAP_Connections2.png
GReddy Emanage MAP Sensor Connection Pinouts
(z)

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:56 am

You can purchase a connector for the Emanage to plug the MAP Sensor in, or you can make one from a standard CDROM computer connector (the black inline 4 pin one).

The pics below show how you can trim the last pin off the connector for a CDROM, and it should fit snug into the Emanage socket.

NOTE: The pictures below shows the EManage Ultimate (NOT the Blue) but I understand it is the same. Pics were stolen from the skyline-owners-club forums. (If someone minds... let me know and I'll remove them):
Attachments
emanage_03.jpg
Emanage DIY connector for MAP sensor, made from CDROM plug
emanage_02.jpg
Emanage Ultimate showing connector for MAP sensor. Note this is NOT a picture of the Emanage Blue
(z)

Return to “Other Howtos”