Water inside panels?

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2005
r.v.boxall

Water inside panels?

Post by r.v.boxall » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:38 pm

Stephen,

Welcome to the MX% list. I can advise from the lengthy experience of 3 months! When I bought my car, the dealer said that the mats in the drvers side got wet, and, lo and behold, so they did. I put out basically the same question as you. The replies that worked for me were to check the door sill drains, which should have a gap along the spot-welded seam, under the car, just in front of the rear wheels. This sometimes gets full of crap, and you should be able to get a small knife blade or a small screwdriver blade into it. I opened mine up, and got several litres of water running out. The second one is the hood rail drains. Water runs off the hood, onto a rail that runs around the rear of the hood. Water runs off this rail, and is collected on each side of the car, and drained through a tube that runs from underneath a flap of the parcel shelf cover, behind the seat belt anchor pillar, basically above and behind the driver's left shoulder. I couldn't get to mine with the hood!
down. If you've got a double-jointed wrist, it helps! If you prod about with your finger under the flap, you'll find a tube entrance, downwards, about 15mm diameter. It exits under the car. If that tube is blocked, water overflows into the seat wells. I used a straightened wire coathanger to clear mine. No more wet carpet. I still get a wet boot, though?

Good luck!

Ron Boxall
Date: 2005/02/08 Tue PM 01:11:20 GMT+13:00
To: mx5list@mx5club.org.nz
Subject: Water inside panels?

Hi there,

I have only owned my MX5 for two weeks so don't know too much about them. Last night Dunedin had over 30 minutes of torrentual rain and I had to drive through it in my soft top MX5. Today when I drove it I heard heaps of water sloshing 'inside' the car (I'm guessing the insides of some of the panels) and was wanting to know how to get it out!! I presume there is a compartment where water can gather at the base of the soft top somewhere? I don't think the water is inside the panels of the doors. Also, the speedo is extremely jumpy and now ticks loudly when it reaches over 50kmph so I'm guessing this has water damage of some kind. If anyone can help at all please let me know!

Thanks in advance.
Steph.
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
Hi there, I have only owned my MX5 for two weeks so don't know too much
about them. Last night Dunedin had over 30 minutes of torrentual rain and
I had to drive through it in my soft top MX5. Today when I drove it I
heard heaps of water sloshing 'inside' the car (I'm guessing the insides
of some of the panels) and was wanting to know how to get it out!! I
presume there is a compartment where water can gather at the base of the
soft top somewhere? I don't think the water is inside the panels of the
doors. Also, the speedo is extremely jumpy and now ticks loudly when it
reaches over 50kmph so I'm guessing this has water damage of some kind.
If anyone can help at all please let me know! Thanks in advance.Steph.

r.v.boxall

Water inside panels?

Post by r.v.boxall » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:03 pm

OOOOPPPPSSS!!!that should be "driver's right shoulder!!!

Apologies,

Ron
Date: 2005/02/08 Tue PM 01:38:21 GMT+13:00
To: MX5List<mx5list@mx5club.org.nz>
Subject: Re: Water inside panels?

Stephen,

Welcome to the MX% list. I can advise from the lengthy experience of 3 months! When I bought my car, the dealer said that the mats in the drvers side got wet, and, lo and behold, so they did. I put out basically the same question as you. The replies that worked for me were to check the door sill drains, which should have a gap along the spot-welded seam, under the car, just in front of the rear wheels. This sometimes gets full of crap, and you should be able to get a small knife blade or a small screwdriver blade into it. I opened mine up, and got several litres of water running out. The second one is the hood rail drains. Water runs off the hood, onto a rail that runs around the rear of the hood. Water runs off this rail, and is collected on each side of the car, and drained through a tube that runs from underneath a flap of the parcel shelf cover, behind the seat belt anchor pillar, basically above and behind the driver's left shoulder. I couldn't get to mine with the ho!
od!
down. If you've got a double-jointed wrist, it helps! If you prod about with your finger under the flap, you'll find a tube entrance, downwards, about 15mm diameter. It exits under the car. If that tube is blocked, water overflows into the seat wells. I used a straightened wire coathanger to clear mine. No more wet carpet. I still get a wet boot, though?

Good luck!

Ron Boxall
Date: 2005/02/08 Tue PM 01:11:20 GMT+13:00
To: mx5list@mx5club.org.nz
Subject: Water inside panels?

Hi there,

I have only owned my MX5 for two weeks so don't know too much about them. Last night Dunedin had over 30 minutes of torrentual rain and I had to drive through it in my soft top MX5. Today when I drove it I heard heaps of water sloshing 'inside' the car (I'm guessing the insides of some of the panels) and was wanting to know how to get it out!! I presume there is a compartment where water can gather at the base of the soft top somewhere? I don't think the water is inside the panels of the doors. Also, the speedo is extremely jumpy and now ticks loudly when it reaches over 50kmph so I'm guessing this has water damage of some kind. If anyone can help at all please let me know!

Thanks in advance.
Steph.
Hi there, I have only owned my MX5 for two weeks so don't know too much
about them. Last night Dunedin had over 30 minutes of torrentual rain and
I had to drive through it in my soft top MX5. Today when I drove it I
heard heaps of water sloshing 'inside' the car (I'm guessing the insides
of some of the panels) and was wanting to know how to get it out!! I
presume there is a compartment where water can gather at the base of the
soft top somewhere? I don't think the water is inside the panels of the
doors. Also, the speedo is extremely jumpy and now ticks loudly when it
reaches over 50kmph so I'm guessing this has water damage of some kind.
If anyone can help at all please let me know! Thanks in advance.Steph.

Danny Boon

Water inside panels?

Post by Danny Boon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi there
When I bought mine I had the same.
I dried it all out but the interior was always fogging up.
Bruce from MX5 rentals cleaned mine out and replaced the underfelt carpet as
that was causing the problem. (drivers Side too ) Takes months to dry out
completely so replacing the felt was the best option. No more water sounds
slushing around, not more fogging at all.
Like new now.
Oh by the way a friend of mine is looking for an upgraded exaust system for
his Mark2 2000 model.
Front to rear including muffler.
Regards Danny

Return to “2005”