Brake Pads

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2001
Mathew

Brake Pads

Post by Mathew » Tue Nov 27, 2001 5:29 pm

After waiting 10 weeks for a set of EBC Green brake pads, I have just been told that due to a computer brakedown at the importer 9 weeks ago my order was lost and it has taken this long for them to tell me (even though I rang every two weeks to see if they had arrived, only to be told "not yet"). And to make it even better the (sole) importer no longer brings them into the country as "they are no good" (something contrary to everything I've read).
So... what I'm leading up to is: What do you all recommend for a good set of front pads. I want pads that are better than stock, but not ones that only work well at high temperatures, and won't grind down my new slotted and drilled rotors at a fearsome pace. And it would also be great if they didn't cover my wheels in a thick coat of brake dust. The EBC's seemed to meet this criteria. Are there any other pads out there that also do?
They will be fitted on a 90' mx5 but I need the 1800cc Pads to go with the 1800cc rotors and caliper brackets I have waiting in the garage.
As an alternative to the unavailable EBC's, I have been offered some Metal King pads. Does anyone have any experience with these?.

MC

Brake Pads

Post by MC » Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:00 pm

Mathew,
i use "Metal King" pads and i find them much better than stock, they did
catch me out the first time i fitted them, the first junction in my street i
very nearly didn't stop, just caught me unawares thats all, but i was
warned, after that they were fine, just needs 1k to warm them up, and they
are excellent for track days at Pukekohe no fade at all, pedal gets a bit
spongy on the drive home after, probably needs a different brake fluid for
track days i guess.
MC

Ray

Brake Pads

Post by Ray » Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:23 pm

Mathew
I run Metal King pads in the rear, and i find them very good, the reason i dont run
them in the front is because i fitted S4 RX7 disc's and calipers and standard pads,
which are more than enough to pull the car up on track days without any fade.
I know a few people running Metal Kings and they are more than impressed they take
only a couple of operations to warm up leave very little dust and seem about average
for wear to the disc, so be warned if you have a steep driveway from your house as
my neibour found out, you need a bit more pressure than normal from cold thats all.

Ray :-)

After waiting 10 weeks for a set of EBC Green brake pads, I have just been told
that due to a computer brakedown at the importer 9 weeks ago my order was lost and
it has taken this long for them to tell me (even though I rang every two weeks to
see if they had arrived, only to be told "not yet"). And to make it even better the
(sole) importer no longer brings them into the country as "they are no good" (something
contrary to everything I've read).
So... what I'm leading up to is: What do you all recommend for a good set of
front pads. I want pads that are better than stock, but not ones that only work well
at high temperatures, and won't grind down my new slotted and drilled rotors at a
fearsome pace. And it would also be great if they didn't cover my wheels in a thick
coat of brake dust. The EBC's seemed to meet this criteria. Are there any other pads
out there that also do?
They will be fitted on a 90' mx5 but I need the 1800cc Pads to go with the 1800cc
rotors and caliper brackets I have waiting in the garage.
As an alternative to the unavailable EBC's, I have been offered some Metal King
pads. Does anyone have any experience with these?.
[...]

darryl

Brake Pads

Post by darryl » Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:52 am

Where were you getting them from? Pioneer Autoparts were getting them, was
it them? I know someone else was bringing them in before they started to.
Call 0800 Brakes. These guys can make you a custom set of pads with just
about any compound you want.

Lou Girardin

Brake pads

Post by Lou Girardin » Thu Nov 29, 2001 8:38 am

I'm using carbon metallics from Les Hunter in ChCh. Superb when warmed up,
they need a fair shove when cold though. Very little dust and haven't hurt
my Brembo rotors in 30000 km's.
I've matched them with QFM comp 3's on the rear from Hitech brakes in
Newmarket. THis gives good balance, no rear lock-up.
Lou

Return to “2001”