re[4]: Strut Brace

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:45 am

There certainly were a few things in Norms book that were very biased, but I just chuckled to myself and brushed aside the barrow full of salt. When I added the strut brace to my old car it already had uprated springs, shocks, swaybars, bushings, a lower rear brace and a style bar that worked as an upper rear brace so thats probably why I didn't notice any difference. Then again I don't claim to be a expert on these things so maybe my seatofthepantsometer was so far out of calibration that it failed to register the difference.

Has anyone replaced the suspension bushes in there car?. It may have been in salty Norms book where I read that one of the Japanese chaps who was responsible for the mx5's suspension setup was asked what maintenance he would do on an mx5 once it had piled on a few km's and he said that the suspension bushes should be replaced, as after about 60,000ks they wear out and get a bit sloppy. My old car had them all replaced (in Japan) with some aftermarket stuff, wheras my new car still has the factory fitment. The old car certainly handled better and it makes me wonder if that was the difference. I have seen some replacements advertised by Brainstorm but they are deemed "race only" (though the suspension kit that was on my old car when it was imported was VERY firm and probably what Americans would term "race" suspension).

M@

lou Girardin

Post by lou Girardin » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:41 am

I'm still running the original bushes - 200, 000km's plus! I guess I should
replace them, but there's no movement in them and I'm too lazy/cheap. But I'd
defy anyone to guess the mileage from the car's feel, it's well braced and as
tight as a drum. Well, a convertible drum anyway.
My susp. guru did say that there's no real gain in fitting Nolathane etc.
bushes as the OEM ones are very good.
Lou

jeff

Post by jeff » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:53 am

I found the *shock* tower brace effect was noticeable
- but pre-Konis only!

Post-Koni, I pulled them off for a month or so and
didn't notice the difference. Guess the new shocks
work much better at absorbing loads!

Return to “2002”