Air Flow

Post by Cory » Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:52 am

Cory's StationeryDoes any one know if the turn signal intakes that are
avalible are any good. i want to make a cold air box and i am looking at the
different options

Mathew

Air Flow

Post by Mathew » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:07 pm

The turn signal intakes are supposed drop intake temps to ambient levels, but I don't know anyone who has a set, so I can't confirm this claim. Ross at mx5mart is working on some and as soon as he sorts the mouldings out I'll probably get some for myself. Another way of ducting in cold air is by way of a headlight lid with scoop in it, which I do have. I have been playing around with Air intake/box design on my supercharged car (the Sebring air filter position was so bad - the nearby belts were actually ramming 30-40 degree above ambient air into the filter during summer) but I already had the lid fitted before I started measuring temps. On my previous car (NA) I had a Loch Stewart airbox fitted and along with a better flowing exhaust it still remains the best performance value for money mod I've ever done. Loch now has a new design which appearently works even better and its design is so simple that you could make your own version quite cheaply.
See http://www.miata.net.au/loch.htm for details. The reason you don't hear too much about his airboxes is that they only fit on right hand drive vehicles so the Yanks can't use them (and 95% of the mx5 stuff on the net is US stuff), though someone has recently developed a version for them that bends around the brake cylinder and they are all starting to rave about it.

M@

Return to “2002”