Bonnet venting and wet floors

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2002
Mathew

Post by Mathew » Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:42 pm

Has anyone attempted to add bonnet vents to their five. A Supercharger makes things quite toastie, especially when I'm trundling around town. There are a huge variety of fibreglass vents available these days but I can't come to a conclusion as to which type, and where on the bonnet to position them (bonnet frame position isn't helpfull). Anyone done this before?

Also, the new owner of my old five has recently had a leak that caused the entire drivers side floor (from pedals to behind seat) to become very wet. I know that he has had the rear window replaced recently so my only guess is that the rain rail from the soft-top is draining to behind the seats. Is this possible? where is the rain rail supposed to drain to? has anyone had this happen to them? what else could be causing the leak?.

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:06 pm

Hi Matt
having run supercharged MX5's now for over 8yrs never had a problem with over heating
around town, my buddy round the corner from me has a Turbo 5 and we fitted the 2
vents from a Celica GT4 (alloy,about 150x100 approx and need painting) they are available
from Toyota they fit perfectly between the bonnet struts, you can face them either
way, put the studs in the end holes as there is a set of holes offset to miss the
struts.
As for the leak the drains are by the inside in front of the rear wheels there's
a little flap in the tube the must face DOWN, he may even have a split in the rain
rail (if it has one)
Ray :-)
did you change your injectors?

Has anyone attempted to add bonnet vents to their five. A Supercharger makes things
quite toastie, especially when I'm trundling around town. There are a huge variety
of fibreglass vents available these days but I can't come to a conclusion as to which
type, and where on the bonnet to position them (bonnet frame position isn't helpfull).
Anyone done this before?
Also, the new owner of my old five has recently had a leak that caused the entire
drivers side floor (from pedals to behind seat) to become very wet. I know that he
has had the rear window replaced recently so my only guess is that the rain rail
from the soft-top is draining to behind the seats. Is this possible? where is the
rain rail supposed to drain to? has anyone had this happen to them? what else could
be causing the leak?.
[...]

Gary Morrison
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Gary Morrison » Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:59 pm

The rain rail is usually shot by the time a roof replacement is needed, and
most roof replacements seem to avoid replacing the thing, but repair it
instead. (I forked out for a new one, and from memory it was about $300!)
Its possible that the leak is coming from something back there that should
have been attended to.

David & Judy Kerr

Post by David & Judy Kerr » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:40 pm

As far as the rain rail is concerned, it drains to both sides. If you look
around the seat belt post you will see where the drain is. If you get a coat
hanger and look under the car just in front of the rear wheel you will see a
pipe, this is the end of the drain. Push the opened up coat hanger up this
tube, very carefully, to clear any blockage that maybe there. You may also
wish to check that the sill drains are not blocked as well.

Dave.

Return to “2002”