Bad weekend - autopainter needed (Chch)

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Mark
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Damn Damn Damn.

If you don't want the story of my grief over weekend, please skip to the question at the bottom.
The family dray (97 Pulsar) failed a wof on Friday - excess oil leakage :shock: It left about a 6" puddle on the WOF shop floor. I knew that begging wasn't going to work.
Oh - I knew it was leaking oil, I have generally despised the car since something happened about 50,000km ago, my wife coming home from work, phoned me to say something went ker-bang then whoosh, and steam erupted under the bonnet. Terminally cracked cylinder head. So I bought a used motor and whacked it in - a beauty $300 (&GST). I bought an engine crane from Super Cheap to do the job, and sold it on Trademe a couple of days later (got back what I paid for it :D ) . Cheaper than hiring gear. Good idea? Well no. If some people suggest that when you buy a tool, then keep it, do as they say, in case you might need it again. It's a karma thing - tempting fate, "oh hell I'll never need to use that again" final last words... I bought an engine crane from Topmaq on Friday. I'm keeping it. If you want to borrow it in Chch, PM me.
When people suggest replacing the rear main seal when ever you've got the engine or gearbox out, just obey them. Do not do as I did and presume that she'll be right. She was not right, about 10,000km after new engine it started dripping, then more generally leaking, then haemorrhaging, then settled down to a gusher BP would be proud of.
So Sunday, I got the old toolkit out. I didn't make my mind up whether to drop the trans or lift the motor until I lifted the bonnet, the trans is theoretically the easier option, but with these nasty wrong wheel drives, the easier sounding option may not be so easy. I lifted the motor - in retrospect it was probably the better option. The Nissan FSM says you can't do this - but it's wrong - it's written for American service technicians, not kiwis.
After about 5 hours, covered from head to toe in the black stuff, I scrubbed up (took about two hours) and we went out for a curry with some friends. We took the MX5. Stop in at mate's place for coffee, it's piddling with rain. I'd had a few so my wife drove. She's reversing out the driveway and there's this kind of disturbing scraping sound. Oops I think, that didn't sound so good. Get home, jump out and take a look. Damn Damn Damn. The front bumper seems to have scraped along a concrete wall. Only the bumper fortunately. I figure I'll get it painted, and I may as well take the bumper off myself and drop it in while I do some other winter maintenance on the car.
The rest of today I replaced the seal cleaned up a few things, and whacked the engine back in. I've run it for an hour or so, and not a drip, nothing. Back to the WOF shop in the morning - before something else goes wrong, which it will, because I hate this car, and it knows..

But I love the MX5, and it's hurt:

So the question - can anybody recommend a good painter in Chch who'll be happy to fix stone chips, the forementioned scrape and respray an MX5 bumper?
Cash payment and no real hurry.

Dez
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Quoting Mark <mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz>: Cash payment and no real hurry.

Don't you ever, EVER, tell a painter 'no rush"!. I had a chin spoiler & a rear
mudflap set to be match sprayed for my five. I was a nice guy about it all but
it took 14, FOURTEEN MONTHS to get them back. Did a nice job but......
I now tell them (not the same company) that I would like it back Tuesday week.
Seems to work better
Ooops. Sorry I can't help with a Christchurch recommendation though.

biff
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by biff » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:24 pm

The guys at Doug Smiths in Tuam St, just over Fitzgerald did some work for
me, and gave the old girl a wash and polish, she looked great, even supplied
a small bottle of RED (of course) "just in case".
Great work and $80, I'd recommend them.
Biff
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

Mark
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Oops...

Post by Mark » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks for replies re car painter.
It seems my shock / horror at the extent of damage was somewhat premature...
It looked really bad - a scrape about a foot long and 4-6 inches high, but like the old "don't worry about that - it'll cut out" joke, when I went to clean it up and look closer, it was actually white paint from the fence stuck to the paint on the fender, and hardly any damage to the paint beneath. It "cut out" without going through the clearcoat almost completely and perfectly, one hair-width line about half an inch long the only sign anything happened. I hope the fence came off worse.

The old Nissan even passed it's WOF yesterday. Now the main oil leak has been fixed, I can see all the other small ones (leaking oil sender, something around the timing chain cover - maybe just ooze from cam seals drizzling down, and the start of a terminal internal oil seal leak in the distributor). If I loved the car, I'd fix them, but I don't so I probably won't. If it was an old MX5, it would be worth it, but it's a dray and it's not.

Dez

Post by Dez » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:57 pm

To celebrate your good fortune now, you need to go out & spend what you would
have on the paint job, on something you really really need for the
Five. Browse
the Moss catalogue..........

Quidam
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Quidam » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:24 pm

I love stories with a happy ending 8)

mazdad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Re: Bad weekend - autopainter needed (Chch)

Post by mazdad » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:26 pm

[quote="Mark"]Damn Damn Damn.

When people suggest replacing the rear main seal when ever you've got the engine or gearbox out, just obey them. Do not do as I did and presume that she'll be right /quote]

Good story - excellent advice.

If anyone is looking for a REALLY good bodywork artist in Christchurch I can recomment Steve Allan at Steve Allan Auto Refinishers 85 Hawdon St. 03 366 6352. A owner/operator and boy, is he one extremely fussy dude! After a big old Nissan 4 x 4 used my pride and joy instead of his brakes I really thought it would never go back together properly again and we'd be parting company as soon as I got it back. Well, when picked it up it's better than when I bought it!

Good luck
"The best British sports car ever" - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Bad weekend - autopainter needed (Chch)

Post by zorruno » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Mark wrote:The family dray (97 Pulsar) failed a wof on Friday - excess oil leakage :shock: It left about a 6" puddle on the WOF shop floor. I knew that begging wasn't going to work....
I wish I had prizes to give for story of the week ;)
(z)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”