anybody a club member?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

anybody a club member?

Post by johngalt » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Are they worth the membership fee? They don't seem very active in the south, and the websites aren't very exciting. what are the pros and cons? cheers guys
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

johngalt
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by johngalt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:25 am

:lol: well that says it all.
1993 NA 1800 red MX-5

Anthug
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Anthug » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:52 am

I am a club member but in the North.

Dont know about the ongoings down in the south. I think they all have seperate branches and organise their own outings.

Anthony

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:11 pm

im a member
i always look foward to the top down mag arriving in my letter box
i think its worth it it doesnt cost much, you get a mag suscription and a sticker for your windscreen

just turn up to one of the meets listed on the website and see if its for you

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 pm

The membership fee is one of the cheapest for car clubs that I know of.
For that you get a bi-monthly magazine, the quarterly zoom zoom Mazda magazine and are able to attend an event every month. The events range from drives, mystery runs, gymkhana's etc with an annual driver training day on a race circuit thrown in (Although there seriously needs to be more motorsport type events!!!).
Plus you get the oppotunity to meet new people with a common interest.
The South has been active for many years (Especially Christchurch) so attend one of the events and take it from there...

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:31 am

Are the runs more of a 'tootle along the road at 50 km/h' or 'blast along the road at a decent pace' or do they cater for both types of driving?

I'd be keen to go on some if they are on interesting/challenging roads....but im not so much into parading....

ham
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ham » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Like all things motoring we all tend to do things at a different pace. Sometimes we have runs that have frequent stops to keep the group together, the faster drivers get grumpy. Sometimes we have fewer stops, the slower ones get grumpy or lost. Its hard to please everyone. We try to crusie at around the 105 to 110. This can mean that the ones at the back will be going conciderably faster to keep up due to the concertina effect. So, if you want to go faster then go at the back, or slower go at the front. This can all turn to custard once you get to the good windy bits though as any one can go at pace on a straight road. :D Our local rule is keep the car behind in view but if the car in front is holding you up then pass, no good getting all het up and/or pressuring the driver in front. If you want to race, go to the track. If you want to enjoy a drive with like minded people then get involved with the club.
1989 NA Blue JRSC.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Sterling answer :)

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Timmo wrote:Sterling answer :)
8)

Agreed.
Cheers Stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:57 pm

I've been a member since 99 (committee member up until a few years ago), and wouldn't know half of what I know now about MX5s if it wasn't for interacting with other members (many of whom are here now too).

Apart from the fact that paying the very low membership fee well and truely covers the magazine.. you get other benefits as well.

It is a community. If you pay the fee, you are helping the club grow, and in turn teaching more people about the car - even if you aren't actively involved. And hey - even if you can't be bothered with the magazine, think of it as a simple, (and half a tank of gas worth of) community donation to help others.

Incidentally, a list of club members are here:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/groupcp.php?g=10
If you are a club member, and haven't joined the group here, please do so.
(z)

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:29 pm

ham wrote:If you want to race, go to the track. If you want to enjoy a drive with like minded people then get involved with the club.
:lol:

If the club ran track days for us to enjoy that sort of drive with like minded people I'd be a member already!

Anybody know if the club is active in Southland? Might be worth me joining anyway if it is.

ham
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ham » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Having not organised a track day, I assume there is a bit more involved than a drive to the beach for a picnic lunch. Perhaps Gravelben, if you have the expertise, you could join the club and organise some track days for those of a like mind to have a thrash around a track. Perhaps it is a simple Sunday run to organise but am guessing it is not?

As to whats happening in Southland, suggest you go to:

www.mx5club.org.nz

go to events and click on Southland and see whats happening. If nothing, they may need a co-ordinator in your area and I'm sure they would be happy for you to take it on if you so desired. :D
1989 NA Blue JRSC.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Gravelben

Peter Glover is the co-ordinator for the club in Southland.
PM him on revolg@hyper.net.nz and see what's going on in your neck of the woods.

The next track training day is 22 May 2010 at Taupo.
It's more designed for those people wanting to learning how to drive fast than those who might want to go to a Playday on Track day. There will be a formal classroom session, conducted by a professional trainer, followed by track work. On average 70 to 80 cars turn up and everyone that I've spoken to has really enjoyed themselves.

It would be good to hold more of these but, as you say Ham, there's a fair bit involved in orgainising them.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”