Trapped Water

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

ham
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Trapped Water

Post by ham » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Have got the sound of water sloshing around on the left hand side. Sounded like in the door but thats dry. Can it get trapped in the sill? Any suggestions.
1989 NA Blue JRSC.

Habanero666
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Habanero666 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Yes it gets trapped in the rocker panels. Check your drainage points located in the front and rear jacking points on the sills underneath. I regularly clear them out with a twizzle stick (pipe cleaner). A good way to check this is to flow water over the top of the car and and check it is magicaly appearing underneath! :D

I will try to dig up some how to pic's

Please disregard the above posting, I will email you the scan John.
Tires aren't cheap!

WRW
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by WRW » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Just make sure you haven't got your face anywhere near the drainage points when you unclog them. Unless you enjoy dirt freckles that is. BTDT :oops:
Nina
-------------------
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

ham
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

trapped water

Post by ham » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks for your help and advice guys. A lot of water in there. :)
1989 NA Blue JRSC.

MX5CHK
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by MX5CHK » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:13 am

Hi there, very interesting reading this comment i thought this was only my car. I have a body kit on mine and cant locate the holes i need to pipeclean lol...can you be a bit more specific...cheers

ham
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by ham » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi MX5CHK. The drains are at the jacking points both front and rear and are more of a slot where the metal folds down. Hope that makes sence.
1989 NA Blue JRSC.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:48 pm

from wikianswers.com:

"Just below the passenger side door, along the outside edge of the bottom of your Miata, you'll find a seam where the sheet metal meets and has been welded together. Upon careful examination along the length of that seam, you'll find at least two small spots where the sheets of metal flair apart wide enough for coat hanger wire to slip inside. These holes are meant to drain the water that can collect in the body of your Miata after a hard rain. They can easily become clogged with dirt. To clear them, straighten out a coat hanger and gently slide one end into the hole about three inches to clear the obstruction. If water is currently sloshing around in the body, it should immediately begin to stream out. "

There was a service bulletin on this:
Clogged Side Sill drains (1994)
http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/s034_94.html
(z)

MX5CHK
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by MX5CHK » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:01 am

The problem i have is that i have a body kit which seems to cover the area you are talking about. The first time it happened i took it to the local garage who claim to have drilled holes to let water out. The next time it hpappend on the other side of the car i looked to find the holes and duplicate them on the others side (since they charged me $60!!!) and lo and behold no holes. Not sure bout drilling thru the plastic/fibreglass bodykit which seems to be plastic welded ? onto the bottom of sill

viscarious
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by viscarious » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:05 am

Here is a photo of where the drain holes are located. ( took me a while to find them the first time )

viscarious

Post by viscarious » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:06 am

If it does come to it though, It will be better to drill holes through the sideskirts than to keep the water trapped in there.

Regards

Return to “MX5 Discussion”