Lost Highway

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Amalmac
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Lost Highway

Post by Amalmac » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Yo there,
Thinking of doing the "lost Highway" between Stratford and Tamaranui. Can anybody comment on the gravel section? My NA6 is running slightly lowered suspension so I am slightly apprehensive.
Did find a 2006 post about Carrington Road out of New Plymouth, looks like a "Great wee road" and a worthy addition to the tour.
Cheers,
Wayne
91 NA6 BRG

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Lost Highway

Post by Paul Murray » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:50 am

My car also has lowered suspension and the gravel section wasn't a problem middle of last year. The gravel was well packed down with corrugations in some sections. Unless the council has laid more gravel over that section it should be okay and if there is some gravel build up may mean a slower trip through that part. It is a wonderful drive ideally suited for the road holding ability of our 5's and even more enjoyable top down motoring

alice

Post by alice » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 am

It's a great road with lots of features of historical interest as well as being a dream for 5s. The pub at Whangamomona does excellent meals that are real value for money. Don't worry about the gravel section, it's easy and not that long.
Enjoy the trip!
2005 NC, galaxy grey

LilRay.Sun
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by LilRay.Sun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 am

I STILL haven't done that route either although have had on my list of "places to go". We have two 5's as touring options - one is a garage queen who doesn't go out in the rain or on gravel roads if possible :oops: , the other is an everyday drive but lowered.. how much gravel is there, can anyone estimate?
Cheers
LilRay

LilRay.Sun

Post by LilRay.Sun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am

That'll teach me not to use the forum on a regular basis, sorry bout the double post, not sure how I managed it :oops:

I STILL haven't done that route either although have had on my list of "places to go". We have two 5's as touring options - one is a garage queen who doesn't go out in the rain or on gravel roads if possible :oops: , the other is an everyday drive but lowered.. how much gravel is there, can anyone estimate?
Cheers
Last edited by LilRay.Sun on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilRay

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am

Hi there, i have done the road too & the gravel wasnt the problem rather the dust! It might pay to go after some light rain especially over summer.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:42 pm

havent done the road and woulnt do the road in mine..
would have before the repaint but too scared of stone chips now
my uncle does the road regularly and thinks it is the best road in the country.
but i have always enjoyed the old whangaa coast rally stage out of raglan if your car is not too low and your willing for plenty of gravel..
you would be lucky if another car ever comes your way, go rally driving if you can see arround the next corner.(without braking the road rules)
awesome views if your of the sceenic persuasion, plenty of stops on the way

Amalmac

Post by Amalmac » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Yea, what a road! Thanks for the comments, it is well worth the effort. Got the name wrong sorry though... it's the 'Forgotten World Highway' and it is MX-5 country!!! Fantastic twisties with good tarmac. The Tangarakau Gorge is the gravel section which is mainly flat with a bit of corrugation but nothing too serious. Gravels quite light. Dusty though.
Do put it on your list of roads to check out.
Anybody done the Gentle Annie?
91 NA6 BRG

alice

Post by alice » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Yep, the Kapiti MX5 chapter did the Gentle Annie a year or so ago. more gravel than on the Forgotten Highway (glad you liked that one, Amalmac), but it was well graded off and no problem. It's a great trip with some interesting scenery and again a lot of historical interest. Try googling "inland patea" for some of the background.
Enjoy.
2005 NC, galaxy grey

marinerbluemx5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by marinerbluemx5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 pm

Just did the Forgotten World highway yesterday in my lowered and stiff NA6, no problems. I probably shouldn't have had the top down through, it got pretty dusty inside after the gravel sections :?

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 pm

:lol: So I'm not the only one who goes gravel-bashing in my MX5 :wink: Sideways everywhere...

Return to “MX5 Discussion”