Snow chains...

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Snow chains...

Post by Ian » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:23 pm

My NA handbook advises against the use of snow chains.
Having added a NB to the fleet yesterday, and struggling through the snow and ice between ChCh and Q'town, I am wondering if the NB owner's handbook has a similar caution, and what forum member's experience has been wth chains ie can they in fact be fitted safely?

Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 am

Hello?????????????

What, NOBODY has an NB owners handbook??????????

Any help appreciated, thanks.
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi Ian, I got your email last week and then saw the weather forecast and wondered how enthusiastic your drive back would be. Hope the new car is a good one. You will probably find more info on chains from the miata forum.

Cheers
Euen
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Euen..... Yep you are so right! My Auck - ChCh flight landed as the snow started to fall. Handed over cheque in the airport car park and by the time I got to Rolleston to fuel up the snow/slush was about 50mm. Burkes pass was 'chains essential' and of course I had none! The torsen was put to the test!! Omarama to be greeted by "Lindis Pass is closed for the night"...so it was back 30k to the McKenzie Country Inn at Twizel and the rugby test. Next morning I sneaked over the Lindis, torsen working overtime, watching the idiots in the 4WD (Remuera/Merivale taxis) hurtling towards me in the opposite direction and threatening to cross the centreline at any second! Off the pass and able to stretch the legs in 6th for the first time in the 522k trip. This may reflect my advancing years, but after I refuelled the next morning, the calculator told me 36.2 mpg. I have to say, that despite the less than comfortable seats, the NB ride even with bilsteins is a marked improvement on the NA, and I seem to have got an example with a nice 6 speed box....as the quality of the shift change varies considerable from what I have learnt.
And now let the 'tinkering' begin - managed to get the Bose CD working this pm.......
Boys and their toys eh? (actually my partner's toy to be perfectly truthfull)

Ian

Grant
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Snow chains...

Post by Grant » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I have!

Page 15 in my JPNZ book says:
"If it does become necessary to fit tyre chains only fit the chains to the
rear wheels."

Then there's a nice wee sketch of an MX5 with a pile of snow on the soft top
showing chains on the rear wheels only.

Grant.
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:02 pm

Grant.....you are a scholar and a gentleman!
Thanks.
I guess with you being in Blenheim, a pic of snow would be helpful in understanding what some of us have to contend with!
Incidentally, I inherited a factory Bose (single disc) which was spitting all cds. Faced with the possibility of spending reasonably serious dollars on a 'bosectomy', I picked up a RCA brand CD/DVD laser lens cleaner today......and problem solved!
I know some people rubbish the Bose sound quality, but to be honest, while mobile, the listening environment in an MX5 is not condusive to listening to the finer nuances of classical music (or whatever blows your hairback), so I am content with reasonable frequency range and adequate volume - both of which the Bose delivers.

Cheers, Ian

Grant

Post by Grant » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:35 pm

Here we are in the snow last weekend

This was at St Arnaud with the roof down of course. Got a few funny looks but it was a sunny day and very pleasant with the heater on and our possum fur lined hats.

I removed my Bose system as the speakers were past their best and sounded very 'muddy'. Speech was especially difficult to listen to at reasonable volume. I wanted an MP3 capable unit so there was no need for a stacker with the problem of where to put it.
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

Return to “MX5 Discussion”