"Charge" light on?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

suburban_ennui
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

"Charge" light on?

Post by suburban_ennui » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Question. As of yesterday, the "charge" light on my dash is permanently on. I noticed this first thing this morning - the first time I'd driven it since I had a coolant hose replaced due to a coolant leak a few days ago. The car appears to be running fine.

I'm not terribly technical when it comes to electrical systems. Any immediate/obvious suggestions before I go to an auto electrician?

Cheers

Gort
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

"Charge" light on?

Post by Gort » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Your alternator isn't "Charge"ing the battery. Probably coolant got
onto the alternator and now it isn't working so well. Had it happen to
me with my old 323.

Chairs...

Grant
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

"Charge" light on?

Post by Grant » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 pm

Check the drive belt to the alternator.
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

suburban_ennui
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by suburban_ennui » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:19 pm

As previously mentioned, I'm pretty non-technical. ie. I do not know where the alternator is, nor the drive belt leading to it. Is this likely to just be coolant on the alternator which will drain/wear away with some engine use and right itself? Should I go back to the garage who fixed the hose?

I too the car for a short drive tonight. The light started off by staying on. Then it started to flicker and eventually went off completely. Fingers crossed that the light will be off by tomorrow morning.

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Trevor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:47 pm

You should be able to safely assume that while there was a partial short circuit within the alternator due to the ingress of cooling fluid, engine heat has dried things out and all should now be OK. Alternators are a fairly robust sort of animal. :wink:
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 pm

I would check the belt tension first.
The alternator is the unit on the left when you face the engine.
(Alternator on the left, power steering and aircon pump on the right).

Growler.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:37 pm

I'd like to emphasis the importance of checking that belt's tension (or even existence).... because as well as the altenator it also powers your water-pump and if thats not being driven you'll have a dead engine in fairly short order...

On the front of an MX-5s engine there will be one or two belts. If you only have one, thats the belt we are interested. If you have two..... the belt closest to the front of the car should go around the lower main pulley, the A/C to its right, and the P/S above it. The inner or more rear belt goes around the lower main pulley, the waterpump pully directly above it, and the altenator off to the left...

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

Return to “MX5 Discussion”