regassing aircon on a 89 na

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Psycho_Dad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Psycho_Dad » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:41 pm

now that my hoods attached, im going to need to get aircon going in this car
so mines a 89, anyone know if this is the new or older version of aircon? and how much it costs to regass?

im assuming thiers no leaks, but who knows
PEace
PSycho_Dad

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:54 am

As it's an 89 it's most likely to be the older R12 gas which was used until 1992-93 which is terrible for the environment. And in now also rare and expensive. There is now a replacement Gas called R134a but this requires some small mods to the system, and is very common now. And it should work to a similar capacity.

I have also read there is a direct replacement for R12 and this is RS24 replacement, but I know nothing of it's performance or life.

Tip: Uses your Air Con at least once 1 week just for a minute, this helps the Compressor seals keep in good condition, and it's gas leaking here that is the most common reason some systems are not providing enough cooling.

I also found this
http://www.fd3s.net/air_co_removal.html#R134
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

peter
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by peter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:43 am

I had mine regassed with R12 in 2005, thanks to a friendly mechanic and a friendly building airconditioning serviceman I knew. I believe R12 was to be phased out end of 2006, and all stocks were to be returned/recycled or something. RS24 is supposed to be more enviromentally friendly and more efficient.
The modifications are to replace all the seals in the aircon system.

I'd make sure that while they are doing this work, there are no building contractors working above the workshop and using ramset guns - these can fire nails through the ceiling/floor and affect your windscreen.

Peter
DRGN1

Return to “MX5 Discussion”