Help for an MX5 newbie

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Binka
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Help for an MX5 newbie

Post by Binka » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Hi all.

I'm really new to the world of MX5's. I've been looking for a new (and ideal) car for me to get for about a month now, and from what I have heard and read about MX5's, this is the car that I want to get. Despite having gone information hunting for the past day and a half, there are still some things that I can't answer. I was rather hoping that someone here could!

A friend's partner has made the claim that all Eunos Roadsters are leather interior (or at least leather seats). I know the Eunos Roadster are the Jap versions, but during my exploration I've noticed that a lot of cars advertised as Eunos Roadsters don't have leather seats. So, for the first question of the day, are Eunos Roadsters leather seated or not? If so, what years? This isn't including all the Limited Edition or Special Edition MX5's of varying description.

Secondly, as I'm looking at the 1989's to 1991 MX5's, what are they like on rust? I've only ever had Hondas, which are prone to rusting, so this is a major point for me.

Are there any typical problems or things that break with the 1989-1991 MX5's?

And lastly, aside from the name difference, is there any difference between the Mazda MX5, the Eunos Roadster or the Miata Roadster? I know they're essentially the same car, but as they're released in different parts of the world, I'm just wondering if there's any (even slight) differences between them.

Many thanks for the help, and sorry for all the questions!
Inject the sugar straight into the vein!

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Help for an MX5 newbie

Post by zorruno » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:47 pm

Binka wrote:Hi all.
I'm really new to the world of MX5's. I've been looking for a new (and ideal) car for me to get for about a month now, and from what I have heard and read about MX5's, this is the car that I want to get. Despite having gone information hunting for the past day and a half, there are still some things that I can't answer. I was rather hoping that someone here could!
Hi Binka, & welcome. I'm sure you'll get a few posts on this, but here is some info...

Firstly, the answer is Yes. The MX5 is the car you should get. But we're probably all a bit biased...
Binka wrote:A friend's partner has made the claim that all Eunos Roadsters are leather interior (or at least leather seats). I know the Eunos Roadster are the Jap versions, but during my exploration I've noticed that a lot of cars advertised as Eunos Roadsters don't have leather seats. So, for the first question of the day, are Eunos Roadsters leather seated or not? If so, what years? This isn't including all the Limited Edition or Special Edition MX5's of varying description.
My backside would disagree with your friend's partner's claim... I prefer the cloth seats, and looked for a long time to find the model/colour I wanted with cloth. Try here for first looks re Roadster info, but I'm not sure if it would tell the whole story re leather vs cloth.
http://mx5club.org.nz/info/japan_models/
It is definitely not down to years -some models do, some don't & some may have depending on options selected when purchased:
Binka wrote:Secondly, as I'm looking at the 1989's to 1991 MX5's, what are they like on rust? I've only ever had Hondas, which are prone to rusting, so this is a major point for me.
I personally have never seen rust on any MX5 (of any age), but I can't say it won't happen in coastal climates or other corrosion prone areas. They only started making them in '89 though, so who is to say they won't be rusty in another 5-10 years.
Binka wrote:Are there any typical problems or things that break with the 1989-1991 MX5's?
There is a FAQ thread here, which only leads to the miata.net site at the moment: http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=2938

The 89- mid 91s have the 'short nosed crank' issue, but apart from that not much else. Tops, paintwork, interior state etc are things to watch for.
Read this on the crank issue:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=8423
Binka wrote:And lastly, aside from the name difference, is there any difference between the Mazda MX5, the Eunos Roadster or the Miata Roadster? I know they're essentially the same car, but as they're released in different parts of the world, I'm just wondering if there's any (even slight) differences between them.
Not really, or nothing worth worrying about. Miata is US & Canada, so you won't see those here. Plenty of people play 'swap the car badge' though, so you might see a 'Miata' badged Roadster around.

Around 90% or more people in the MX5 Club of NZ have imported Eunos Roadsters.

There are a few other FAQs in the FAQ section here - I'm sure people will add to them one day:
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewforum.php?f=27

Hope that helps, any more questions, ask away.
(z)

Gordon Tucker
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Gordon Tucker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:49 pm

1, great choice.
2, only 'special edition' and some 'limited edition' models have leather of the era you are looking at.
3, Not prone to rust. However due to the age of the cars (89 - 91), look at the sills, floor, rear parcel tray(leaky hood), and inside the boot.
4, From 89 untill some time in 91, the engine came with a 'short nose crankshaft (4 slots in the pulley). This has given a reasonable amount of trouble and is quite difficult to repair. Better to go for the 92 -97 big nose (8 slots in pulley). Also the rear brake calipers sometimes have problems with the adjusters seizing in the earlier models. Other than that, they are generally very reliable. Some have done over 250,000kms without to much trouble.
5, There are differences from country to country and also if they are a 'special' or 'limited' model and the year can mean changes E.G some specials might have bilstein suspension, leather and woodgrain panels, late 93 changed to 1800cc e.t.c.

The best advice is to make yourself known to your local MX5 club chapter and see if someone can check out any vehicles you may look at. Otherwise, once you are looking at a particular car, ask the forum what it should have.
Cheers, Gordon
2006 NC RS, Winning Blue. Lowered 30mm with King springs, aftermarket rear muffler and single exhaust, Toyo C1S 215/45x17 tyres

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:51 pm

as above generally only the green ones had tan leather in those early cars....

i dont think ive ever seen an mx5 with rust of any great amount...although the front wings will fill up with mud just behind the front wheels which can start rust(easy to clean out)

the secret is to test drive LOTS of cars to get a feel for them...some early ones seem very rattly and "loose" and others are nice and tight to drive...

maybe a lovely club member in your area could help with an inspection of prospective cars????
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Binka

Post by Binka » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 pm

SLYDIT wrote:as above generally only the green ones had tan leather in those early cars....

i dont think ive ever seen an mx5 with rust of any great amount...although the front wings will fill up with mud just behind the front wheels which can start rust(easy to clean out)

the secret is to test drive LOTS of cars to get a feel for them...some early ones seem very rattly and "loose" and others are nice and tight to drive...

maybe a lovely club member in your area could help with an inspection of prospective cars????
Having a club member in the Auckland area help me figure out what each prospective MX5 is like (condition/driving-wise) would be ideal. I'm a very inoffensive blonde girl and (here comes the ego talking) usually very pleasant to deal with. My partner will be glued to my side throughout the entire process, and probably jumping into the driver's seat and having a little excitement-spazz, and he might bring along his mechanic friend. I want to make sure 100% that I don't get a lemon, although I don't mind something that needs a bit of love.

If any club member(s) also felt like showing off their ride to me, that would also be ideal. I want to learn a lot about MX5's and the way they run, and I want to have a look at one that's been looked after before looking at one that hasn't.

I'm also used to cars that are a bit (a lot) tatty about the edges, so it's difficult for me to judge how tatty is too tatty. My partner owns a really nice old BMW that's a bit tatty on the outside, and now a 300ZX in need of some attention, and my Integra... the door cards are coming off (literally), there's a dent in the d-side door and it's got a Prelude bonnet.

peter
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Help for an MX5 newbie

Post by peter » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:49 pm

the club website http://www.mx5club.org.nz/ has links to various events http://www.mx5club.org.nz/events/
around the country, I'm sure you'd be welcomed at any event as a prospective member, the only difficulty would be in getting some of us to shut up, as we all love talking about our own pride and joy!

Peter

DRGN1

simple
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Help for an MX5 newbie

Post by simple » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 pm

If you tell us what general area of Auckland you're in, I'm sure you'll
find people happy to show you their cars, and talk endlessly about them
:-)

I'm in the Glenfield area, with an '89 car that needs some love, so I
can demonstrate some of the aspects of the car that get 'tired', if you
like.

Karl.

Binka

Post by Binka » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:17 pm

peter wrote:the club website has links to various events around the country, I'm sure you'd be welcomed at any event as a prospective member, the only difficulty would be in getting some of us to shut up, as we all love talking about our own pride and joy!
I would come along to one or two of the events, but I work every Sunday, and it looks like all the events are on Sunday! Working 6 days a week means I'm only free Saturdays.

I'm always wanting things explained to me, why, how, what, everything about cars, so everyone who can't stop talking will have a rapt audience in me!

Binka

Post by Binka » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:20 pm

simple wrote:If you tell us what general area of Auckland you're in, I'm sure you'll
find people happy to show you their cars, and talk endlessly about them
:-)

I'm in the Glenfield area, with an '89 car that needs some love, so I
can demonstrate some of the aspects of the car that get 'tired', if you
like.

Karl.
I'm in the Mt Eden area and am desperately needing something to keep me busy tomorrow (Saturday). So if you're free tomorrow, pop me a PM! I'll be dragging along both flatmates as we're going car-yard shopping tomorrow as well.

simple

Help for an MX5 newbie

Post by simple » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:46 pm

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 06:20:22AM -0500, Binka wrote:
I'm in the Mt Eden area and am desperately needing something to keep
me busy tomorrow (Saturday).
I've sent you a PM with some contact details, if you want to visit my
car on Saturday afternoon.

Karl.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”