Injector cleaners?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Injector cleaners?

Post by Shermio » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:33 pm

Any recommendations? I'm doing a massive service on Molly :D need advice :D Oh and I pulled the spark plugs they were very clean no soot so I'm happy :D

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:45 pm

Don't waste your money on any fuel additives for injector cleaning, they are weak as they get hugely diluted by fuel. If you really wanted to get them cleaned properly you are looking at about $30 each plus the cost of pulling them out and putting them back in, which must be maybe 2 hrs so all up would be around $270… hmmm quite a bit.

But as long as all your plugs were about the same colour I wouldn't worry, much worse than a black sooty plug is a white or grey one, as grey indicates a lean fuel mix, and lean = hot = bang =$$$$$$$. So if one was lighter than the rest that may indicate a faulty injector.

But your car isn't so old so I wouldn't really worry about injector cleaning. The only other option is called "Carbon Clean" where they plug your car into a so called heavy duty cleaner and run it though for a while in their workshop. I have no idea if it is good or not and have thought about trying it, and it would certainly better than one that comes in a bottle.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

petercristina
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Injector cleaners?

Post by petercristina » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:27 am

Hi I had a cleaning system done in the US which was offered by Firestone. They hooked your engine to a bunch of tubes with some cleaning liquid and let your car idle for about 30 minutes then emptied a can of cleaner into the throttle body while revving the engine, then added some stuff to the fuel. Could feel quite a difference after...
Peter Garrity
Wellington

Return to “MX5 Discussion”