Newbie Questions regarding NA MX5 Turbo etc

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

RB Bait
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Newbie Questions regarding NA MX5 Turbo etc

Post by RB Bait » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi Guys and Gals

Recently I swapped power for potential. I swapped my Subaru Legacy GTB for a Mazda MX5. This thing is crazy fun. It handles like I’m driving on train tracks and sounds super cool with the pod filter and exhaust. Modifications: Coil-overs, semi-slick tyres. 15x8 Work Meister wheels. Strut Brace, Pod filter, fully re-sealed engine, new clutch and a great sounding exhaust. From this day I will be posting up progress of this car until it is something special. I am thinking I will either turbo it or put a 13B Rotary engine in it 🔥 I am also thinking of buying a rocket bunny kit so stay tuned for one angry MX5.

Questions:

Does anyone have a Roll bar for an NA in the North Island preferably Auckland?

Also lookin for a hard top and turbo kit goodies

Wanting to buy an exhaust system suiting either turbo or an na na :roll: How loud are they with a straight pipe? :D

Thanks guys.

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Re: Newbie Questions regarding NA MX5 Turbo etc

Post by siren676 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Welcome.

For a rollbar you're probably best to get one made, i got mine done by chubb racing in auckland.

Good luck on the hardtop hunt coming into winter, their prices have skyrocketed in the past few years.

Whatever you do for an exhaust dont go straight pipe, its illegally loud for road or track use. Most people go custom with 2.25" piping, muffler and reso for n/a or bigger for turbo. Off the shelf stuff in nz is usually cheap imported chinese stainless which either doesnt fit or cracks.

Also if you havent already, join the nzmx5 facebook page
1990 NA6C MX5

ghilliethecow
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Re: Newbie Questions regarding NA MX5 Turbo etc

Post by ghilliethecow » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am

Can confirm about the exhaust.
I have a naturally aspirated MX-5. No turbo, no supercharger with 2.5" piping from the extractors.
1 resonator then it runs down to a 3" mazda-speed tip.

Had to put a baffle in the tip because it's loud as shit... still loud as shit with a baffle in.

I'd definitely recommend 2 resonators at the LEAST.

As the other user said, hard-tops are extremely hard to find, if you find one, it'll probably be shit, or you'll have to fit a window into it and paint it.
So you're looking at around $1500 - $2000 for a hardtop :(

Return to “MX5 Discussion”