New to MX 5

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

redbeard45
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

New to MX 5

Post by redbeard45 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 pm

So weʻre looking at joining the ranks of MX5 owners after many years dreaming and are just deciding between two cars. One has soft top, one has electric hard top. Our preference is hard top for quietness, winter running (it will be used by my wife every day?) Any thoughts or preferences about which is better - soft top falling to pieces versus electrics failing?
The hard top has done over 100k kms and has the 6 speed whereas soft top has done half that and has 5 speed. Iʻve heard the 6 speeds can be a little bit of a n (expensive?) problem. This one is a little noisy in 3rd/ 4th with a slight notch getting into 3rd. Early signs of trouble? However, this could be caused by the clutch as it cuts in around 1/2 an inch off the floor and is like a switch. Donʻt think this is right? Certainly 5 speed is more normal in clutch take up and is easier to drive.
When do we panic about the water pump? They are both 2000ccs.
The hard top has the sat nav display. Can you find a manual for these - can it be programmed in English? Any use in NZ?
Sorry to ask so many questions in our first post but its decision making time and there are positive factors about both.
Cheers
Redbeard

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: New to MX 5

Post by Keith Jones » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm

There aren't many NC owners on this Forum.
Check out https://forum.miata.net/ if you haven't already done so.

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Simonmx5 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 pm

I'd also recommend the NC Facebook page, lot's of helpful people there but not many kiwis so you won't find that much NZ specific help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ncmiata
I personally have a NC with the non folding removable hard top. As far as I know there aren't too many issues with the folding hard top but I would stick to the soft top, much less potential for issues.
Going from an NA to the NC I found the clutch similar to what you have described, I think it's just how they are. My 6 speed is notchy going in to 2nd and 3rd and can be quite bad when it's cold. I've had the car 6 months and it hasn't got worse so far... I've read the same complaints from others on the facebook page and miata.net.
From my experience with Japanese import vehicles and sat nav units, it's probably going to be completely useless in NZ so budget for having something else installed.
Just make sure you test drive as many different ones as possible. Don't rush in to anything and if you're really unsure it's worth getting an AA check or see if you can get a Mazda dealer to check it over.

redbeard45
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by redbeard45 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks for all your thoughts and help. Had a look around the Miata site. Seems a great resource. Seems others have had issues with the clutch on their Miatas. Cheers and thanks. Thoughts taken on board.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”