Soft no had leaks on day, next day water was pouring in

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

eZ_Harry
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Soft no had leaks on day, next day water was pouring in

Post by eZ_Harry » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 am

Hi,

I only purchased my MX-5 a few weeks ago. My second week of ownership was the big storm we recently got hit by... during this I did not notice any water leaking into the car. Fast forward to yesterday, Auckland got a decent amount of rain and I went down to move my car after it had been sitting out for a couple of hours. I get in and both the driver and passenger seat were very damp along their outer edges. I've started watching it and when there is heavy rain a pretty big amount of water is able to get in on both sides.

How is this possible? One week it was totally fine... now its got a big leak? I am wondering if the windows arent going up correctly or im doing something wrong when folding the soft top?

Any advice appreciated!

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: Soft no had leaks on day, next day water was pouring in

Post by Keith Jones » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm

If both seats were wet it sounds as if the windows were not up fully, particularly as there wasn't a problem during the storm. The windows should sit tight against the rubber seals on the soft top and overlap the bottom edge of the seal so water can't get in.

While it's probably not a contributing factor to your immediate problem, check the water drains just behind the seat belt towers, where the water that runs off the rear of the top top goes. There is a rubber tube that goes down into the sills, and water should then drain out through a gap in the sill seams. The tube and the sill drain holes get blocked over time, allowing water to build up in the car and wet the carpets behind the seats.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”