Rentals

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Eddie Barnes
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Rentals

Post by Eddie Barnes » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:35 am

I am hoping to visit new zealand again and wonder if there is any where that I can rent an MX5/Miata/Eunos - an old one will do as they are utterly reliable. We have a 1991 Roadster V special in the uk.

Eddie Barnes

Email: e.barnes@virgin.net

Alternatively may consider guaranteed buy back - don't yet know when visit is to be.

black bess

Post by black bess » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:04 am

Hi Eddie,
See my post 19 topics down - "MX5 Car Hire"
When are you going down to NZ? I'm hoping to meet up with Kiwi 5ers in December / Jan and perhaps see you there too!
1992 S-Special with JRCAI and Borla Zorst
1997 1.6i in black, leather and chrome with Ultraleggeras, K&N and Larini Zorst

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:50 am

Hi Eddie...

I assume you wiil be visiting the Mainland (South Island) mostly due to the scenery down here PLUS the fact that we have the best MX5 driving roads in NZ!!
In which case, Ross Everest at Roadster Rentals here in Christchurch is the man to see...he has a couple of early manual cars he rents out...

Cheers, Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Eddie Barnes

Post by Eddie Barnes » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:07 pm

black bess wrote:Hi Eddie,
See my post 19 topics down - "MX5 Car Hire"
When are you going down to NZ? I'm hoping to meet up with Kiwi 5ers in December / Jan and perhaps see you there too!
Dear Black Bess
We don't have any precise plans as yet but will certainly want to attend MX5 events in NZ when we eventually get there!
Presumably you are in the UK now?
Eddie B

Eddie Barnes

Post by Eddie Barnes » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:17 pm

Ian wrote:Hi Eddie...

I assume you wiil be visiting the Mainland (South Island) mostly due to the scenery down here PLUS the fact that we have the best MX5 driving roads in NZ!!
In which case, Ross Everest at Roadster Rentals here in Christchurch is the man to see...he has a couple of early manual cars he rents out...

Cheers, Ian
Dear Ian
Thanks for the info - someone else recommended Roadster Rentals but there doesn't appear to be a website for them. Do you have an address?
We will be touring both Islands. We came to NZ some years ago and toured on rented motorcycles which we sourced in Christchurch and spent most of our time on the South island, Since then a good friend has bought a property on the coast below Auckland in Wanga-somewhere so we expect to be there for a while. As we have retired we can spend several weeks so can see lots more NZ than last time hence looking for a good deal on a car - even considered shipping our own but the cost (about £3000) was too much.

black bess

Post by black bess » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:16 am

Eddie Barnes wrote: Dear Black Bess
We don't have any precise plans as yet but will certainly want to attend MX5 events in NZ when we eventually get there!
Presumably you are in the UK now?
Eddie B
Hi Eddie - yes, we are UK based and I am an enthusiastic MX5OC member over here. Our daughter lives in Auckland and we plan to retire there in 3 years time or so. I'll ship one of my 5s over - or maybe both - 'cause I cannot decide which one I love the most !! :lol: Hopefully you'll be coming to my annual Lulworth Castle event next June 23/24th, where we can meet up and talk each other to death about how wonderful NZ is :D

Eddie Barnes

Post by Eddie Barnes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:31 am

Dear Black Bess
Thanks for your reply - I am an mx5 UK owners club member - is your Lulworth event one of theirs - I am new to the club so haven't seen it this year
Have you made enquiries about the cost of shipping to NZ as I considered this as a possibility but the charges are very high - about £1500 one way with all the red tape etc unless you know better!
Regards
Eddie B

black bess

Post by black bess » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:35 am

Ian wrote: we have the best MX5 driving roads in NZ!
Cheers, Ian
Totally agree with you Ian - especially the road from Te Anau to Milford. Then there's the road from Ashburton to Mount Cook, oh and the drive from Picton to Nelson, not forgetting of course......... :lol: MX5 heaven :D Mind you, Napier in mid Feb, for the Art Deco Festival is an absolute must for a 5 8) :D :lol:

black bess

Post by black bess » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:29 am

Hi again Eddie :D
The Lulworth Castle meet is an unofficial event, although it gets promotion in STHT and on the Forum. We will have 200+ cars attending next June - put the weekend 23/24th June in your diary now! Lulworth Castle is a stunning venue and we'll have music and dancing on the Saturday night in the grounds of the Castle (sorry Kiwis - it's just Olde England y'know) :D
As regards shipping costs - well, my car(s) are worth a whole lot more to me than their market value in the UK and MX5s in NZ are more expensive. So it seems to me that the cost of shipping (£1500 - £2000) is very cheap compared with the loss on sale in UK and cost of purchase and upgrading in NZ. Finally, doesn't it strike you as somewhat surreal when two guys in the UK are discussing a meeting in Dorset on a Kiwi website? Talk about the global village ! :lol:

mx5mike
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Rentals

Post by mx5mike » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 am

I tried to bring my 1996 Gleneagles back from the UK to NZ. I couldn't do it because the import regulations in NZ restrict it to 1996 or newer cars. Something about front impact regulations. Even though mine was a UK 1996 the chassis was a 1995 VIN number because the Gleneagles was modified by Mazda in the UK.

I had to sell :(

black bess

Post by black bess » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:12 pm

That's interesting information Mike. Looks like it's made my decision for me then. How are you enjoying NZ then, you lucky b***** :lol:

Eddie Barnes

Post by Eddie Barnes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:53 pm

black bess wrote:Hi again Eddie :D
The Lulworth Castle meet is an unofficial event, although it gets promotion in STHT and on the Forum. We will have 200+ cars attending next June - put the weekend 23/24th June in your diary now! Lulworth Castle is a stunning venue and we'll have music and dancing on the Saturday night in the grounds of the Castle (sorry Kiwis - it's just Olde England y'know) :D
As regards shipping costs - well, my car(s) are worth a whole lot more to me than their market value in the UK and MX5s in NZ are more expensive. So it seems to me that the cost of shipping (£1500 - £2000) is very cheap compared with the loss on sale in UK and cost of purchase and upgrading in NZ. Finally, doesn't it strike you as somewhat surreal when two guys in the UK are discussing a meeting in Dorset on a Kiwi website? Talk about the global village ! :lol:
Yes the irony had not been lost on me either - next news you'll be saying you live in Rochester, next door or similar. Still it looks as if your plans to ship the cars might have resolved itself albeit not favourably but in good time to do something else. I suspect we will be indulging another passion in June - our favourite month for Canalboating - if not the Lulworth event will go on the calender
Eddie B

Return to “MX5 Discussion”